Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to cover a patch of concrete

Posted by doofus (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 12:43

Hello!

There is a patch of concrete by the ground-floor entrance to our house. The area is nicely shaded by the deck above, and there is a swing hanging from the same deck. In other words, the kid likes to play there.

Unfortunately, not only is the concrete abrasive to the little knees, when it rains, puddles to tend accumulate there. Short of redoing the patch to slope to one side, what else can be done?

We thought of laying some sort of raised floor there -- to be above the puddles and to be a little softer on the skin. Any suggestions for the material, etc? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to cover a patch of concrete

How about drilling some holes at the low spots for drainage and putting down a piece of indoor-outdoor carpeting?

o

You could put down some playground safety tiles.

o

Graywings, what sort of tool would I use to drill a drainage hole? I guess, it needs to only go through the concrete, but also allow me to excavate some of the dirt from underneath -- and put gravel in its place? Seems involved... Any hints? Thanks!

Homebound, the safety tiles themselves will not solve the puddles-problem, will they? Unless, maybe, they are high enough for the puddles to flow off to the sides... Khmm.

o

The concrete should have been laid on some gravel and sand ... any masonry bit can chew through it and it should be enough to keep the puddles froim accumulating.

We had that problem with one part of the patio , so my dad drilled 1/2 inch hole and packed it with sand.

o

The concrete should have been laid on some gravel and sand ... any masonry bit can chew through it and it should be enough to keep the puddles froim accumulating.

We had that problem with one part of the patio , so my dad drilled 1/2 inch hole and packed it with sand.

o

Lazygardens, does not the 1/2 inch hole get filled with debris? I thought, I'll need to put in something bigger, like this drain sump:
Tuf-Tite Drain sump
or, maybe, something prettier-looking. We have sand under the house, so it should be Ok without any actual pipes...

We actually have such a thing already on the other side of the house -- buried into brick-lined floor...

o

If the concrete is not the entry to the house, why not jackhammer it away and cover the area with bark mulch, cedar chips etc.?

o

We have the same problem and DH also wants to drill holes. But I'm afraid that water will get in there and freeze during the winter. Won't that cause the concrete to crack?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here