Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting asbestos tile roof?

Posted by rae0101 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 11:49

Hi everyone. I'm new here, and the topics I see have me really excited to have some like-minded people to share ideas with! We've just purchased a small 1920's home next door to our home , which was built around the same time. I'm re-doing as much of it as I can myself, and have already almost finished the two bedrooms, living room, dining room and hall. We plan to use it as a guest house for friends and family, so I would like to match the exterior to our house. But the roof on that house is asbestos diamond patterned tile, and it's various shades of pink...not a pretty pink, either. It doesn't coordinate at all with our paint colors, and our roof was replaced during our house's restoration with the regular black shingled roof. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does anyone know if asbestos roofs can be painted? If we have to replace the roof, I know that there are issues with OSHA, and the possible cost is intimidating. I'll wait and replace the roof if necessary, but I'm hoping someone out there will have some good news for an inexpensive alternative since the roof is in really good condition. Sorry it took me so long to get to my question, but like I said, I'm really excited to have found y'all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting asbestos tile roof?

Do you have asbestos asphalt shingles?

The high temperatures roofs see are the biggest problem with trying to paint them, and the presence of asphalt does not help.

o
RE: Painting asbestos tile roof?

No, it's not the asphalt asbestos. I did end up finding a commercial grade paint from a company in Australia that is intended for painting asbestos slate roofs and is warranted. I'm going to cross my fingers and give it a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here