Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cellulose and wiring in attic

Posted by nekobus (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 08 at 11:37

We live outside Boston, in a house about 50 years old. Given our oil bills last year, we've decided we really need to improve our insulation. We had an energy audit via our utility company, and got a lot of useful information, including the suggestion that we add a lot of insulation to the attic. Reading here, it sounds like a lot of people really recommend the blown-in cellulose.

My question is: all our wiring is Romex, so, from what I understand, it's fine if that comes in contact with the cellulose. However, we have a lot of wiring projects to do - installing ceiling cans, moving light switches, etc. Will it be a huge pain to do these after we have cellulose blown in? For people who have the loose cellulose in their attics, is digging around between the rafters looking for wiring relatively painless, or should we try to do all the wiring projects before getting the insulation in?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cellulose and wiring in attic

Well why not just be safe and do the wiring first?

o

Moving cellulose for wiring is not really a big deal at all.
I use a small adjustable garden rake, move it out of the way, then gently put it back.
Blown fiberglass can be moved the same way but is an itchy mess.
Fiberglass bats can just be picked up and then replaced.

o

Eight years ago, my entire house was stripped of all the old wiring and replaced with new wiring, outlets , switches and light fixtures. I have the loose cellulose and the electricians had no problems with it. I have since added fiberglass bats on top for added R-value.

o

Thanks, it's reassuring to hear that this won't be a problem from folks who've been there!

o

I would do all projects first. Also seal areas that leak into the house. Use recessed lights that are not only IC
Insulation Contact, but ICAT insulation contact Air Tight.

Making as tight of an air barrier from attic into conditoned space will allow you to heat and cool much easier. An added bonus is that your indoor air quality will be improved.
Cellulose has a very fine 'dust' that is easily drawn into the house via holes into the attic.
Seal all penetrations from the attic first.

Best of luck to you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here