Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Rot and termite damage, might be structural - who to call?

Posted by scrapndoodle (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 19, 11 at 11:15

Help! We are very rookie homeowners. Two years ago, we bought our first house. It is a cute little place, built in the 1880s.

Before buying, we had an inspection and all of the mechanical systems checked out. There isn't much of a crawl space - about 6" to 12", as best we can tell - and it is completely inaccessible. (there was one small place in our mechanical room where you could see in) So, the foundation was not inspected.

The interior had been freshly painted -- there were no cracks anywhere. We probably should have taken that as a warning sign. There were signs of old termite damage as well, but also evidence of treatment and on-going monitoring. I guess we just assumed that any damage would have been fixed. We have continued termite monitoring service - no evidence of activity.

One problem noted was a large gap between our brick patio and clapboard siding on the side of house, with the potential for water infiltration. We had a few people out for bids on repairing this, but got varied views and price ranges. Yesterday, after reading a DIY article, I decided to clear the area out myself to prep it for urethane caulk.

The lowest clapboard has deteriorated significantly. But more distressing, I was able to see behind it in one place (a corner of the house) and saw a beam with termite damage. There were lots of pieces of rotted and insect damaged wood. Instead of sealing the area with caulk, I have now tarped all along the base of the house where it meets the patio.

Because we can't access the crawlspace, we don't even know what type of foundation we have. A waterproofing contract we had out earlier about filing the gap speculated that it may just be on mud sills.

Who do we call now? If someone had a fiber optic camera with a light, they might be able to see more behind the clapboard. Otherwise, my guess is that the floorboards in our dining room (the room above this area) would have to be taken up to access it. I'm concerned about calling a structural engineer first only to find out that they can't tell us much because of the inaccessible space. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Rot and termite damage, might be structural - who to call?

A GC with old house repair & renovation experience.

Try asking neighbors for recommendations, they may have used someone for repairs or alterations.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here