Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ceiling fan support

Posted by civ_IV_fan (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 10:06

needing to hang a ceiling fan in an upstairs bedroom, i removed the 20-ish year old simple light fixture that was supported merely by the wood lath. knowing this wasn't good enough to support a ceiling fan, i picked up an old work ceiling fan kit and got to work cutting out the plaster and lath in about a 4.5 inch diameter.

working slowly, i found a certainly original 1x3 or 1x4 support above the wood lath, dead center in the room, with the original knob and tube (still in service) running through it. i tested the support with some modest weight and it seemed very sturdy. so i simply cut out some pieces of wood, glued them to the support to give me something to mount the fan brace to at ceiling level, predrilled and then ran 2.5 inch screws through the brace, into the wood blocks and into aforementioned support. it seems to be holding wonderfully.

what i'm wondering is if anyone else has found a similar existing cross support in their ceiling (not sure what kind of weight a light fixture had ~ 1910) and reused it, or if the typical approach is to attempt to cut it out partially and install the ceiling fan box above it.

i have no attic access

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ceiling fan support

The brace was probably there to support a gas pipe and gas light fixture. Often a nib was screwed into the end of the old gas pipe and the new electric light fixture was hung from it. If you see some bell wires nearby that would be the low votage power for lighting the lamp.

o

renovator8 - interesting; i think the house was built with k & t installed. i haven't seen evidence of gas fixtures anywhere in the house, and it was built in a city. it is newer than some old houses - built in 1915. the k & t is still in use running from switches to light fixtures - the two wires each are double insulated and i don't see any breakdown of the insulation when i handle it. replacing hasn't been a priority in any case.

o

"i found a certainly original 1x3 or 1x4 support above the wood lath, dead center in the room, with the original knob and tube (still in service) running through it."

That is how it was in my house in the entry way and dining room. The 1x was actually an extra piece of the T&G subfloor. I don't know what the "typical" fix is, but we removed it and put in ceiling fan boxes.

o

bill - i'm actually already regretting not doing that. the ceiling fan is small and lightweight and isn't wobbling and certainly won't go anywhere, but i think next time i'll just remove the 1x the best i can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here