Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Downspouts into Terra Cotta piping

Posted by sportsgaleliza (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 9:55

I have some downspouts that drain into terra cotta underground piping. One of the downspouts is draining very slowly. I plan to try to try to augur out the piping - - if i can get it clear, I need to replace the terra cotta cap that the downspout was mounted to. Does anyone know if you can purchase something like this? Where?

If this does not work, I am consider a rain barrel or draining the downspout into the yard. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Downspouts into Terra Cotta piping

I'd try a brickyard since what you need to replace is terra cotta. It might help you greatly if you can either take the old one with you or take a pic of it with you when you go shopping for one.
We had downspouts that went into terra cotta piping and that piping went into the ground. The pipes were filled with all sorts of stuff. Instead of trying to keep it clean we are going the rain barrel route.

o

Have you thought of trying a patching compound like the stuff to fix broken concrete--it might work. I think it comes in small tubs at the box stores, a vinyl product?

o

We were pretty sure our terra cotta underground piping was failing - So disconnected them from downspouts & did corrugated plastic type above ground to the downspouts - & away from the house. Much better system.
I sure the terra cotta was filled with all sorts of things underground

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here