Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmcevenue

Do you think our house once had a front porch?

dmcevenue
9 years ago

Our house was built in 1871. It has a front vestibule which has a side door out to what is now a concrete pad which runs under the 2 front living room windows.
I don't see anything in the brick work to suggest an old porch but the brick has been painted for decades so it may not show up.
Pretty well all the Victorians in town have a front porch. Could our house have had a vestibule AND a front porch?
Have tried to find old photos of the house, no luck so far.
Also, is this house a specific style? It's not symmetrical enough to be an Ontario or Regency cottage and not grand enough for a Queen Anne...

Comments (11)

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

The little that is visible of the roofline over the two windows doesn't seem to fit with a missing porch, unless the house roof was rebuilt. I suppose the roof could have been flat, but the Victorians were usually smarter than that. It could have had a slight pitch, but then it wouldn't match up with the vestibule roof.

Could we have a shot of the house taken from the driveway side?

• dmcevenue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Chibimimi...here's another angle showing the side door.

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

That doesn't look like it ever had a porch in front of the windows, unless they totally remodeled the roof when they removed the porch. Is it possible the vestibule was originally a covered entry?

• ingeorgia
    9 years ago

Look in the attic to see if there is evidence of a roof change. Ours was "re-done" and windows added. We found some of the original tin there.
    Also, there is a house in town that had a fire so the top floor was removed and it was then roofed and made a one story.
    Check at City Hall to see if they have information on your home. Ours has house plans, etc.

• theresse
    9 years ago

It's a charming house - love it - whatever its history is!

• dmcevenue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all!
    The existing vestibule looks to be original - it has the same interior trim and stained glass as other parts of the house.
    We did check the local archives and they gave us a copy of the original survey but it doesn't show any details of the house.
    I will try to persuade DH to go up and explore the attic for clues (there could be bats...shudder)... :-)

• terrypy
    9 years ago

Easy way to find out - I don't hear this mentioned on this site and its one of the most wonderful items you can use in researching your "old" home and town...the sanborn maps! Sanborn maps were done for the whole country for fire insurance purposes and go aways back and were done periodically. They will outline the property, stories on home, shape, porches and structure, i.e. wood, etc. Most states have them online through the state library sites. I've attached our home 1913 American Foursquare from a 1919 map shows current 2 porches one is 1story and the other a 2story D=dwelling, x=shingle roof, 1-2 = stories, yellow=wood frame, etc.

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

I believe the OP is in Canada. Is there a similar system of maps there?

• terrypy
    9 years ago

Sorry didn't catch was in Canada...yes it appears there are...try this link for a listing. It notes the other companies that did maps also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Union List of Sanborn and Other Fire Insurance Maps

• louislinus
    9 years ago

Another place to check is your local historical society. There often pictorial maps made with drawings of the actual homes. Our previous house had a built date with the tax auditor of 1935. I always knew that was wrong, but I didn't know how wrong until I saw our house on a pictorial map dated 1866!

• tim45z10
    9 years ago

Go out and check the dirt for post or foundation evidence. Check in front of the side where the two windows are as well.
    Its possible the present entry is where the porch may have been.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz