Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lford_gw

Finding reference for 1930 Spanish Revival Bungalo in No. Cal

lford
17 years ago

I have a 1930 stucco house in Northern California and I'm trying to find some reference material for ideas for the kitchen remodel. Websites/books/anything. thanks for any help!

Comments (10)

• solferino
    17 years ago

Hey there lford,

I'm in San Jose, remodeling a 1920s house (sadly, not a Spanish Revival, which is my favorite style).

You might try the various bungalow books out there... "Bungalow Style" (there are two, one by Crochet and one by Halberstadt), "Bungalow Kitchens", "Inside the Bungalow". There are quite a few out there; I've leafed through most of them and there are quite a few Spanish Revivals featured in most. You'll get a lot of ideas from just these few!

I would also suggest going to home tours. Around here I think the season has passed but I know that the Northside Neighborhood Assn is having one in the fall. I think my neighborhood (Naglee Park) is also doing a fall tour. There are usually a few different ones in Willow Glen. Sorry, I only know the South Bay ones... I'm sure there are many more on the Peninsula.

Drop me an email if you want some vendor names. I have a few places to shop for period-appropriate stuff which may or may not interest you.

• cnolan
    17 years ago

I suggest a tour. I have a 1920's spanish revival bungalo in SoCal. Belmont Shore in Long Beach. HUGE number of craftsman and Spanish houses here. Silverlake, Los Feliz, Some areas off of Melrose in LA, all have great examples of spanish revival.

As for kitchens, my understanding is that a wood finished with square faces was commonly used. Very similar to what you would see in a craftsman. At least around here. If you're talking more hacienda, then that is a different look. We decided to do more modernish with a lighter wood in our kitchen, due to the small size, we wanted to keep it light and airy.

Ours has been updated, however, Exterior still maintains original charm, front room has original door, original arches and built-ins, original plaster walls and coved ceilings, original mock fireplace. Too bad original wood floors were carpeted over sometime ago, we have had to completely replace them. House had been updated and remodeled, we've kept with a classic look, but a little more modern feel. We have a fully open kitchen, with modern appliances, and doors & windows have been updated. We're so close to the beach (2 min walk) the salt air kills exterior wood.

There are some examples in our neighborhood that are very good examples of the true spanish revival.

• rosethornil
    17 years ago

First off, tell me more about this house. Pacific Ready Cut Homes sold about a dozen of these Spanish Revival homes as KIT HOMES, sold and shipped in 12,000 pieces of house.

I just returned from Los Angeles and found hundreds of these houses throughout the area. Pacific Homes sold about 40,000 kit homes throughout northern and southern California.

As to pictures and images, I have to recommend a book that's near and dear to my heart. "California's Kit Homes" is a reproduction of the 1925 Pacific Ready Cut Homes catalog and has many vintage pictures of original kitchens and baths and original plumbing and electrical fixtures.

If you'll post a photo here, I'll take a look and see if I recognize the house as a design from Pacific Ready Cut. Here's a link with more info:

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/13677.shtml

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics and info on Pacific Ready Cut

• efo90027
    17 years ago

I too recommend Rosemary's book, "California's Kit Homes." I just received my copy and I'm thrilled with it. My first house in Silver Lake is in it (though it's a 385 and could be, as the book explains, a Sears Del Rey).
    My current Spanish-style home wasn't in the book. It's one of the Disney homes mentioned in the LATimes article "12,000 Pieces." Are there other catalog re-prints available that might include this home style?

• jakabedy
    17 years ago

Are you looking for a period remodel, or for ideas to make a contemporary kitchen sympathetic to the overall style of the home?

• oliveoil
    17 years ago

This is wonderful. I just purchased (2005) a 1930 Spanish Colonial Revival in WA. No updating has been done, so the interior and exterior is intact. There has been some wrought iron removed, but will be able to restore.

I have some detailed photos, inside and out. The interior details are a combination of Sp. Col., Craftsman, and Art Deco. Believe it or not, it's tastefully done.

My best guess is that the original owner had a CA architect design. It's the only one of its kind in the area. I've been trying to find contractors who are willing and skilled in this type of construction for areas that I'm not able to do alone - it hasn't been easy.

If anyone wants photos, please email me.

Nancy

• jakabedy
    17 years ago

Let me start by saying all I got for Christmas last year was books. And that's all I wanted for Christmas. See, we just got a 1925 Mission Revival home last year and I am obsessed. I agree with the above suggestions, particularly Bungalow Kitchens by Jane Powell. Here are the other books I have and their strong points.

Red Tile Style (Arrol Gellner/Douglas Keister) - This one has a total of maybe ten kitchen photos. Mostly exterior shots and some of details like lighting and tile. Very accessible.

George Washington Smith (Patricia Gebhard) - this focuses on particular (grand) homes by Smith and has a few kitchen photos. Lots of exteriors and courtyard/patio shots, with floor plans.

Santa Barbara Style (Kathryn Mason/James Chen) Grand vintage homes and a few newer examples. Not many kitchen shots, but lots of exteriors and some gardens, formal rooms, courtyards.

Casa California (Elizabeth McMillan/MelbaLevick) -Not much in the way of kitchens.,but lots of architectural detail shots. A few of the homes are of recent vintage, but most are '20s.

Mediterranean Domestic Architecture in the United States (Marc Appleton) - this is a reprint of vintage photos of grander homes. I don't see any kitchens, but it is interesting to see the period decoration and the floor plans. Black and White.

California Colonial (Elizabeth McMillan) - focuses mostly on architectural details, specifically tilework, entries, wrought-iron, fenestration. There are also good examples of doors, light fixtures, interior goodies like niches and fireplaces. There is even some info on furnishings,.

• msafirstein
    17 years ago

"American Bungalow" magazine is a wonderful resource.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Bungalow

• lafilmfan
    17 years ago

Just wanted to say that I also have a Spanish colonial revival style 1930 duplex in Long Beach, though not in Belmont Shore (boo hoo). My kitchen has never been touched since 1930. I don't even have a stove in the place. My neighborhood isn't all that great though so I think I'll do a "budget" period remodel.

• michelleback
    17 years ago

We are in the SF Bay Area. Our first home was a Spanish Bungalow, circa 1930's. It resembles very closely the house rosethornil's link: plan 499. The entry was a little square turret but there was no gate, just a little wrought iron front porch. We moved two blocks to a larger, 1930's home designed by an architect who did most of the houses on this block. Interestingly, although the houses vary on the exterior, Spanish, tudor, cottage-style etc, they are very similar inside with a split level floor plan, arches, plaster walls and vaulted beamed LR ceilings.

Home tours are a great idea, even open houses , if you have the time. I love vintage CA architecture!

Lford, we may have chatted on the kitchen forum; we just finished our remodel last month!