Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quickly reglaze / repair front door when I don't want to at all

Posted by civ_IV_fan (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 8:42

Okay....so I have been working on the house every weekend. I have a list of projects and the front door isn't one of them. However, the house has other plans for me. My original front door is about 70% beautiful beveled glass. Just a big pane of glass with a frame basically. The original glass is loose such that when I push the door by the glass, the glass (secured by molding) moves - the glazing is shot. Now ultimately I want to refinish this whole door but NOT RIGHT NOW.

Is there a way I can quickly take care of this problem and delay more involved work by a couple of years?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quickly reglaze / repair front door when I don't want to at a

Probably not without mucking it up permanently making later repair that much harder.

A minimum damage solution might be acrylic latex caulk.

It will come off the glass pretty easily, a little harder from any wood it touches.

o

Isn't that always the way? You could spring for an el cheapo replacement door if the original is anywhere near a standard size and stick it in. Put your good door away until you're ready to deal with it. Cost a little, but if it's an easy install then perhaps worth the money in aggrevation.

o

I'd agree with the caulking...but PUSH ON THE GLASS??!! Use the knob or the frame...do you know how expensive bevelled glass is?

I need to put a new coat of varnish on mine, and should glaze it also, but it has waited for twenty years, so there's no rush. I'm also very careful when I clean my bevelled glass, not wanting to put a lot of pressure on it.

The project isn't a big one as such, you can likely do it in a day, but you will have to take down the door and set up saw-horses. Not an expensive job either, just some stain, putty and a brush--now that I'm talking about it, maybe I should finally do mine! :)

o

I have seen some really rickety oval-glass doors. The ones with a separate subframe for the glass are susceptible to its joints working loose. Some ovals were fitted into "sash" that had a square outer shape, so the glass was in a mitered picture frame kind of situaltion. These mitered frames can get scary-loose, so maybe that's what you have. If it's bad enough to risk falling out, remove it, set the pieces aside, and fill the hole with plywood. That will be your motivation, staring at the eyesore every day.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here