Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need a smallish exterior door

Posted by screamer (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 08 at 8:33

Hi all, new member here:

Brick Tudor Home was built in 1930. The entry door on rear of garage just gave up / deteriorated. It measures 32 x 76. Todays standard door is 30, 32, 34,... x 80. Any ideas how to get a door for this opening? I can't widen the opening since it's made of fieldstone & brick.

...screamer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need a smallish exterior door

screamer,
Sounds like its' also time for a new door jamb as well. Check it out.
Anyway the door size you need is 32 x 76. Your local lumber yard can order that exact size for you. I order odd sizes all the time or cut them down myself.
This may not be a DIY job. You might need a carpenter. But the whole thing is doable.

Good Luck

The PorchGuy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

o

Architectural salvage is a potential option, too... many of the doors at the local places are oddly sized. You can find doors that have peely scroungy paint but are still rock solid beneath, and suit the architecture of the house (so it's a back door to a garage, there's no reason why it shouldn't fit stylistically!).

o

Summertime means garage cleanouts are here. Keep a tape measure in the car and shop the curbs, you might luck out.
Another option is to see if your area has a architectural salvage group, not for profit. They often remove stuff like that from houses that will be torn down and sell them dirt cheap a few times a year.
Craigslist and Freecycle are two other options.

o

You'll never get this size door 'off the shelf', but it can be custom ordered at about any "real" lumberyard.

Salvage, as has been mentioned, is another option.

o

Most wooden doors can be cut down several inches. Check manufacturers websites of different brands to find one that can be cut down 4".
If the door rotted out then there's a good chance that the jambs are not in good shape either. look for a prehung door.

o

Have you checked craigslist? or maybe even e-bay? Trying to find a door to your size can be a real pain. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here