Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaded glass sidelight question

Posted by elizawhyza (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 7:16

How would you describe this style of leaded glass? I know it is colonial as opposed to victorian, but is there a style name for this pattern?

From Drop Box

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaded glass sidelight question

I believe it is a design associated with the Georgian style. I don't know if the glass pattern has a style name, but it contains oval and diamond shapes, possibly with beveled glass.

Here is a link that might be useful: image link

o

Eliza, oh my gosh, that looks so similar to sidelights in my neighborhood in Rochester, NY! Are you close to us?

Vicki

o

Vicki,
I'm in north central jersey. I think this style goes back to the late 18th, early 19th century, but was probably reproduced in later houses, too. Some of the later ones are beveled, while the earlier ones I've seen are not beveled.

Are the ones you've seen mostly on older houses?

o

Mostly built in the early 20s. Lots of houses in the Browncroft neighborhood in Rochester have similar sidelights.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here