Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about Vinyl Jamb Liners for This Situation

Posted by marita40 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 6:42

I live in a 1913 house originally built as a duplex and now a condo. My unit is on the second floor. In the living room and dining room I have "cottage" or "oriel" windows, with a huge lower sash (47" tall) and tiny upper sash (20" tall). In researching new storm/screen windows, I found out that if they are sized to fit the meeting rail, it would not be possible to remove the storms/screens from the inside because they'd be so large and wouldn't clear the sill--you just can't maneuver them to pull them out. The only solution is to put new vinyl jamb liners/tilt packs in these windows. Once the sashes are tilted in, it would then be possible to remove the storms/screens through the opening. The original sashes, by the way, are in great condition and do not need to be replaced.
I would rather not do the jamb liners but in this situation it seems to be the only solution. I've consulted with a couple of old window restoration people about the matter. Frankly, the idea of being able to clean my windows from the inside--rather than pay someone to go up on a ladder twice per year--is very attractive to me. What concerns me more than the aesthetics, however, is whether or not I'll really be able to tilt the windows in. I've heard that it is actually very difficult and awkward to do. First, has anyone done the jamb liners? Second, what is your experience with them? Again, I would love to avoid doing this, but I don't seem to have a choice. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about Vinyl Jamb Liners for This Situation

An alternative occurs to me: instead of messing with the vinyl jambs (which sounds lik you'd be permanently altering the sashes, too) consider whether you could make one of the side trim pieces on each window removeable. That way you could pivot the lower sash out whenever necessary.

I have some of my windows upstairs perpetually apart (long complicated story) and when it's time to clean them, I just pull the sash out and sit on the windowsill, duck under the meeting rail and there's the outside of the upper sash right in front of my face. (Of course, I have previously removed the storm/screen!) I like this arrangement so well that my long-term plan is to re-install the trim with little recessed screw grommet thingies so that I can pop them off at will.

This may not work for your windows, but it might give you other ideas.

L

o
RE: Questions about Vinyl Jamb Liners for This Situation

liri, I appreciate you answering my query and understanding what I mean! After much thought I have decided to go with the tilt-pack jamb liners for the windows. I think it is the only possible solution that I can live with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here