Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is my house?

Posted by dpubluedemon (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 4:32

I am having a hard time trying to figure out the architectural style of my house and what things I can do to it for exterior remodeling. The house was built in 1967. Any ideas?

ALT="counter">

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is my house?

60's contemporary? I don't really know what, if any, name you'd call it, but I know I like it a lot! What I might consider doing would be a new finish on the shingles (replace shingles with other material) that I'd also use on the balcony and window trim. I say 'finish', because I wouldn't suggest necessarily painting it a bright color or anything, but maybe some kind of richer (though not dark) stain, or even a rather shiny coat of a brushed metallic (copper?) or grayed look that would blend, but give a new little kick to things. Or, of course, you could just paint the rest a new color (incl'g the garage).

o

Cool house!

If I owned it, I would:

Replace the asphalt shingle siding with another material, perhaps dark grey (or copper) metal. If that was too expensive, you could use cedar shingles instead.

Paint the entire house a dark charcoal grey, almost black, including the porch railing and all trim.

Stain the retaining wall a very dark brown to clean it up and make it less obvious. Fill the planters with ornamental grasses. Plant a Japanese Maple at the very top, at the outer corner, to screen the balcony from the street.

Plant a big clump of ornmental grass on the left hand side of the driveway, close to the street, to frame the view of the house.

Paint the entry door in an accent color, like terracotta or creamy green, to make it a focal point.

Trim the bushes that hide the front door.

o

i believe this is a modern style house (that's what they called em). houses like this in the 70s often had big op- art house numbers...that might be fun. and really bright colored front doors, like orange. i would paint the cinder block wall to match the house.

as far as the railing, what you have looks more like a deck railing and IMO really takes away from the style of the rest of the house. i think actually a solid railing with shingles that match the shingled portion (might put new matching shingles on both a new railing and the front). i think the suggestions of ornamental grass and/or japanese maple are both good. i wouldn't plant any flowers...
good luck!
kren

o

I did have it in mind to stain the retaining wall a very dark brown color as well

o

Contemporary of course!

The PorchGuy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here