Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rope weatherstripping/insulation in doorway?

Posted by nikolatta (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 1:30

Hi all,

We are replacing a quite ugly door in my 1929 Spanish-style bungalow in San Diego with a newer door. The one we are removing is not original to the house, but the door frame and molding is. I was trying to clean it up in preparation for working on the door tomorrow when I realized that there is a cord wrapped in fabric and completely painted over on one side of the door stop. The same thing seems to be present between the door frame and the security door (also ugly and hopefully will be removed soon). I think this may be weatherstripping, although it doesn't actually seal against the current door. Any ideas? Is there any chance this is asbestos rope? Finally, any suggestions regarding how i can remove the painted on cloth and rope to prepare the frame for painting?

Thanks for your help!!!!
-Nicole

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rope weatherstripping/insulation in doorway?

It's not likely to be "asbestos" rope (used mostly to seal heated cavities like furnace doors.) I know it gets hot as an oven in CA, but only metaphorically.

If you're sure you don't want, just cut it off. You'll need some very tough, sharp blades - and be careful while doing it. You might also be able to disassemble the framing enough to get at it.

But maybe it serves some purpose. If cutting it off leaves an irremediable ragged edge, you could install a tiny quarter round bead of over the raggedness; paint to match and it will disappear.

HTH

L.

o
RE: Rope weatherstripping/insulation in doorway?

Primitive weatherstripping, probably. I found some in various houses.

Remove it, and if it leaves ugly gaps, use foam rod (pencil to bigger than thumb sized foam used to fill deep gaps before caulking) to block the cavity and then caulk and then put molding over it.

and then weatherstrip the new door.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here