Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with attic cubby hole???

Posted by household_6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 05 at 0:06

Hello, I have just moved into an older house that was built in the 40's. The upstairs of the house which originally used to be the attic storage room has been made into a big bedroom somewhere along the line.

That is now my boy's bedroom. Since it is so big I've kind of split it into two rooms. It's the type of room that has the pointed church style ceiling and short 4-5 foot side walls. Anyway, someone has built a cute little what I would call a cubby hole into one of the walls. It has two doors on it and the doors are flush with the wall. The "hole" is about a 4x4x4 square. It extends about 4 feet behind the main wall. And it's all made of cedar. I hope I'm making sense here.

I think it was meant for storage. But, right now I have nothing in it. I would like to take the doors off and make it into something for the kids. But, I have no idea what. I hate to waste that space though. It's so unique and I think I could do something fun with it. But what????

Any ideas? My boys are 10 and almost 13, so I don't want to do anything too kiddish.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with attic cubby hole???

You have a cedar closet, for the storage of clothing and linens. The cedar keeps moths and mildew and mustiness away and is a very nice thing to have. I'd like one for winter-weight bed linens, myself.

I'd use it as intended, rather than making something for the kids. If it weren't cedar I'd say make a little room out of it, but the cedar makes it valuable for storage.

o

If you aren't going to store clothing and things in there why not store the boys camping and /or sports gear in there. Maybe store the boys seasonal clothing in that space.

o

Thanks for the replies.

I'm wanting to take the doors off and so it will be open to the room. I was thinking along the lines of putting a bean bag to sit on in there along with something else. I just have no idea. But, I would really like to open it up and use it as something cute for the boys.

o

It doesn't take much. I'd leave the doors on.

My 11 year old grandaughter has a mat and a lamp in a cubbyhole under their stairs. She uses it to curl up and read. It is a space that her younger brother and sisters aren't allowed in. She likes to be able to close the doors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here