Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grey- green exterior on craftsman home - suggestions?

Posted by casey3 (My Page) on
Wed, May 6, 09 at 23:59

We are painting our 1920's home and would love some input about colors. We're thinking of something along the lines of BM HC-111 Nantucket Grey, a sagey-grey green and painting the trim in a cream and the sash a darker color (mocha, dark brown, reddish-brown?)

Any suggestions or comments? Thanks! Here is a current photo of the house. The snow is covering a black roof.

Here is a link that might be useful: current house

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grey- green exterior on craftsman home - suggestions?

Casey,

For our main color we have Cabot solid color Mountain Brush (nice green-gray) with Navajo White trim (creamy vanilla). Our shakes are oil stain cedar and soffit/roof trim is terratone (darker browny bronze). Our shingles look black in the picture but are architectural style in Weathered Wood, more dark/light grays and brown in real life.

The color combination you are thinking of would complement your black roof and house style. Picking house colors can be tough, but you seem right on track (of course I am biased).

Jill

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabot Stains

o

Jill's house is very elegant and lovely. But since your house is such a cute more cottagy place you could consider going a bit more bright I think, just an opinion! Check out the 12th or so post on this thread to see the green house with yellow shutters (and other people posted their paint jobs here too) I think a creamy yellow trim would be nice on your house!
kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cost to paint thread

o

I like the sage/grey look and the cream (or white would give you a more crisp look) and how about a burgundy for more emphasis. I'm not sure the mocha would blend or it might be too subtle. Benjamin Moore has a good color planner where you can see various colors together -- I think it's just interior, but it will give you ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: color combinations

o

take a look at "weathered Shingle" by Sherwin williams. Maybe a bit less grey but it has that subtle mossy green tones that you're looking for.

Diane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here