Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephstrong

house style

stephstrong
10 years ago

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me what the style of my new house is?? The windows are throwing me off. It was built in 1920.

Thanks!
Stephanie

Comments (8)

• columbusguy1
    10 years ago

Without more pictures, especially of the inside, it's a tough call...the seriously altered porch and 40's siding is a huge distraction.

VERY roughly, I'd say some sort of Craftsman...but that depends on the interior details, since the only real exterior clue IS the windows. The grouping of them hints at a cottage style which went along with Arts & Crafts styling.

• stephstrong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!

Darnit I thought the siding was original...shows how much I know. Also the porch used to be closed in and the last owner opened it up.

Here is a photo of the firplace, if that helps at all. The floor is these really long boards of soft wood and the house is one level with a basement.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Craftsman bungalow?

It's cute

• columbusguy1
    10 years ago

Stephanie, I'd stick with the A&C classification, and it looks like there is some Spanish/Mission influence based on the fireplace opening...are you by any chance located in California or the Southwest?

Bungalows were pretty common in those areas then, less so in the East, although they do exist. Rather odd that the flooring isn't oak of some sort.

I hope you are thinking of stripping the woodwork? It looks really good in those types of houses. My house is Greek Revival influenced 'foursquare', and I was very lucky that all the wood except the back bedroom, bath and kitchen was still original stain...I stripped the kitchen, but in the bath discovered that it had never been varnished, just painted, so gave up for now...the bedroom has to be done also, but it will be a chore I don't look forward to. :)

• stephstrong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys!

All of the woodwork is painted and eventually I want to strip it but we are currently working on the bath and kitchen. A lot of the windows are painted shut, we don't even know if the front ones ever opened, they don't have any hardware or anything. A lot off the paint on them is chipping too so I need to get that cleaned up and stuff. That must have been exhausting stripping the woodwork. Did you use a heat gun? Was there any lead paint??

• stephstrong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also, I'm not in California but close, Oregon!

• columbusguy1
    10 years ago

The kitchen, fortunately, had been stained and varnished originally, and had only a couple layers...the top one white, the next a mint green which was on the varnish. Used chemicals and heat gun, but since I was younger then, had more energy. :)

The bath, after three hours with a heat gun, I got only the section which the door fit into...discovering bare wood, so I said 'F* it', and put a fresh coat of mahogany colored enamel on..beat the heck out of the blue that had been there, and the yellow under that! The back bedroom, being 11x12, with two doors, two windows, and 10" baseboards, will be a nightmare I can't decide if I want to get into. I use the room for storage, and am not in a big hurry...obviously since it's waited 20 years so far.

My first weekend in the house, I tore up carpeting in two bedrooms and the entry to expose the original floors, which are in good shape. Next was ripping out cheap 70s cabinets and fluorescent lighting in the kitchen, and building my own using the home's original doors found in the garage. I started stripping the pantry cabinets, but found they had not been varnished either. Kitchen has four doors, one window which the fridge had blocked...it now lives in the pantry, and the stove sits in front of the chimney opposite the sink, which I found next to a dumpster, so I built my cabinets using it's dimensions and a height to accomodate the original cabinet doors--40" which works for me since I am 6'1. :) My next task will be to remove vinyl from the pantry and kitchen floors--hoping for good linoleum or oak like the rest of the downstairs!

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Google Greene & Greene. Craftsman houses were more than bungalows and usually had shingles and other natural materials on the West Coast.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greene & Greene