Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found some antique kitchen cabinets....

Posted by navi_jen (My Page) on
Sat, May 18, 13 at 21:42

...and need help deciding if I should purchase them. I started a post in the kitchens section, not remembering the old house section of GW.

If you wouldn't mind gandering over to kitchens, I could certainly use the 'old house' expert advice.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg052031244270.html?1

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found some antique kitchen cabinets....

This forum isn't as busy as the kitchen forums. Maybe because we are all too busy throwing money at our old houses.

I went over to the kitchen forum, read your post and looked at one piece. I think it could be a very expensive risk. Until you get your design, you could be moving toward a non functional kitchen. Kitchens need to be more than pretty. They need to function.

My attitude is this: If those cabinets are meant to be in your kitchen, they will be there when the designer finishes the design. Not too many buyers at $6,500.

Did I miss the other photos? Sometimes my computer doesn't load everything.

o

I saw the picture of one cabinet over there, so I don't think golddust missed anything...however, I would love them in my own kitchen.

A kitchen design can function with original cabinets very well...it depends on what you want. If you need every single modern appliance to make coffee, tea, scramble your eggs and dice your veggies, then yolu better have a pantry to store all those gadgets. Personally, I don't need every gadget invented to cook a meal, so my kitchen works fine for me...and I have my original pantry into the bargain.

It is the designer's job to work with YOUR ideas, not to make theiir own dream kitchen. If you want the cabinets in there, tell them to make it happen. My kitchen had fluorescent lights and 70s cabinets when I moved in, and I built my own cabinets using the original doors I found in the garage using the pantry ones as a model. My kitchen now blends in with the rest of my 1908 home's original details. I did not have to move walls, doors or anything else when doing my own design...just had to do wainscot and some carpentry. So my fridge lives in the pantry, but it is only a couple extra steps and beats having it block the only window like it did when I moved in!

Having seen the only picture, it seems that $6500 might be a bit pricey, but only you can decide that.

o

Thanks all...I have decided to pass on those poplar cabinets, at least for now. I did start a new thread about vintage stoves over there, if anyone is interested in chiming in :-)

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here