Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blaismikial

Sagging floor and walls

blaismikial
15 years ago

My fiance's parents own several rental properties including a 100+ year old farm house that they rent out. We've decided to fix it up between tenants. We'll be doing most of the repairs and improvements ourselves but one issue regarding the a sagging point in the house worries me a bit. I can do a lot of home repairs and modifications myself, but I'm no structural engineer. The walls and floor at the center of the house are sagging inward a few inches. I found that the original support post in the basement has been removed and a replacement now stands at the point of the sag. It looks to me like the replacement was put there in order to stop the house from sagging any further. However, that doesn't fix the droop in the floor and walls. The support post is holding up one large beam right through the center of the house, and it's clear that this support beam is what is sagging. Although the house has been stopped from sagging any further, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for repairing this sag that preferably won't break the bank or add any sub-flooring. Thanks!

Comments (2)