Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katie8422_gw

What colors for exterior?

katie8422
14 years ago

I'm planning on painting my exterior over the summer. Right now, it's primed the color of a sinus infection because the PO planned on painting it green before he sold it. I want to choose a color that suits the home's style, so I'd like to know what colors are appropriate. It was built around 1900 and I was told by people on GW that it looks like a transitional Victorian. Someone said it looks Craftsman, too. It's listed as a colonial on the property assessment site, but it seems to me that every home in my town is listed as a colonial. Can anyone confirm what style it is and suggest some color families? Thanks!

From Exterior

From Exterior

Comments (4)

• powermuffin
    14 years ago

Sinus infection, yikes! You forever ruined that color green for me! :]

I could see your house in almost any color. If you want something historic, check the historic color pallets that all the major paint suppliers have. Also check the link below; although many of these homes are "newer" than yours.

You have a cute house there!
    Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic house colors

• autumngal
    14 years ago

Hi Katie-
    Boy, you guys are moving right along. Good for you! I've been trying to pick out paint colors as well, it will be fun to see what people suggest.

As for your home style, according to my handy dandy "Field Guide to American Houses" it's a National Folk house. In the Gable Front and Wing Family. According to the Field guide, it's in a different category from Victorian, but a friend of mine is a historic preservationist and said that during the turn of the century, house styles really were a lot more fluid, so since most people would look at you like you were crazy if you said National Folk house, you could probably be safe calling it a simple Victorian.

However, I think that colors reflected more the time than the style of house, so I'd look into Victorian colors and even Craftsman colors. I know Sherwin Williams has a series of colors from those eras. I also know Ben Moore has historic colors.

Are there colors you are leaning towards?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

I would not call it a folk Victorian; there is a lot of well thought out and executed trim details there. Folk reduces detail to a minimum and certainly this is not that.
    I would look into a three color scheme that gives a body color, main trim color and an accent, like for doors window sash (and shutters if present).
    The pigment types used in the period were almost all natural sources. Think: earthy. Yellow ochre, olive greens, deep reds. Black, white were used sparingly. Brown, used quite a bit in the 1850-1875 period was out of style, unless a greenish-brown) Blue not at all (blue pigments were not color-fast in sunlight, and the yellowing effect from the linseed oil would turn them greenish).
    I would get rid of the stick-work at the upper edge of the porch beam. It's not original and lacks the grace of the rest of the trim.
    Casey

• katie8422
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wasn't sure how reliable the historical color palettes were, since they don't specify which era they are from. I like the idea of sticking with colors from nature. I can work within those rules! I was leaning towards three colors but wasn't sure how to do it. Once I read that it was body, trim, and doors/windows, I started to notice that a lot of houses nearby use that formula. I thought it was more complicated, but I must be picturing more ornate Victorians.
    THANKS! Hopefully I'll be posting a picture of my freshly painted house before the summer ends. :)

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator