Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jburr827

Cedar Siding with Small Reveal

jburr827
12 years ago

Hey Everyone,

My old house has cedar siding with a 2.5 to 3 inch reveal. When replacing areas of siding (we removed a couple windows etc), I am using pre-primed cedar siding and hand nailing before painting.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is there any other siding material besides vinyl that can be easily installed with a ~3 inch reveal? Is anyone out there doing this? I guess I am not opposed to vinyl, but I don't prefer it and as I am not interested in doing the whole house, I am worried different fade patterns will ultimately be a problem. I have looked at wood and smart-side etc, but I can't find any alternative except vinyl.

2. Is anone using a nail gun to install cedar clapboard siding that is only 3.5 inches wide (like what I am using)? I am not aware of a nail gun that carries the right nails (2.5-3 inch ringshank) for this application. They all seem to be geared towards cement or some other type of siding.

Thanks for the input. I would like to either continue using wood but speed it up a little or switch to a siding that will need less maintenance(even if it takes more time up front).

John

Comment (1)