Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Government incentives to restore old homes?

Posted by gamecock43 (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 08 at 20:51

Ok guys, I have decided that I will be buying an old victorian that will need renovation and restore work. I am interested in collecting information about government grants or special loans that would be available to me. Some websits talk about government incentives, tax breaks or special mortgages available to get $$ to do the work if I abide by historical standard rules, but then everything gets vauge as to where/what/how to get these incentives. If it helps, I will be a first time homebuyer in the city of Savannah, GA. Can anyone point me in any directions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Government incentives to restore old homes?

Think long and hard AND talk to historic home owners in your area....folks who own old homes love to talk about them to anyone including strangers.......before you decide to go down this route.
Historical Standards is a loose term. Sometimes when you get into exactly what it means where you live you find it's just something you can not live with.
It can decide for you everything from the color of the house to what kind of windows you can use to whether or not you can add on to your home or even if a patio is proper.

I'd start with the phone book, historical societies.

o

People to talk to:
First, if your house is already on a local, state or national register of historic places, you already have a good start at finding out if help is available. Then, talk to the State Historic Preservation Office, they will be able to direct you to federal and state incentives, as that office has the duty of administering those programs. Then, talk to your local organization to find out if there is a low-interest revolving loan program, grants, or even just a list of vetted craftspeople who work on old buildings with understanding and sensitivity.
Get to know your neighbors who have similar goals, and if there is no local grass-roots preservation group, start one!
Casey

o

Thank you guys!
I have been doing research and found a tax break available that sounds somewhat beurocratic but worthwhile, and a construction loan that does not seem like a good deal. I plan to camp out at the historic society also, and walk around to meet neighbors who have already started restoration projects. All very good ideas. I'm anxious to get started.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here