Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick1862

old plastic wall tile

nick1862
15 years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy old tiles? I am in need of some Aqua plastic wall tiles. They are light greenish- blue, with white marbleing.Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Nick.

Comments (30)

• cosmikcat
    15 years ago

Well we're just getting ready to remove a bunch of these from our bathroom. I'm not sure if they're what you're looking for. And I think they might have faded a bit?? But if you can use them, I'd be happy to give them to you. They are a very light green, the yellowy tone is from my flash.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• magnaverde
    15 years ago

Well, Cosmikcat, if those don't work for Nick, I'd love to have them, since, as you can probably guess, green is my color, even if it's 195Os dentist's office green. I used to have the same tiles in the kitchen of my very first post-college apartment and one of these days, I'm going to recreate that room. Unfortunately, they don't make these anymore, and since styrene plastic hasn't yet achieved coolness, these often end up going straight to the dump instead of being recycled to the admittedly small group that still likes them. Be sure to take a few good pics of your vintage bath before you get out the hammer. Thanks. M.

• nick1862
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Cosmikcat. They look like what I need,but I only need maybe thirty or thirty five. Let me know what shipping costs are and I will send you a check. I also noticed that Magnaverde needs the same tiles. Do you have enough for both of us? Thanks again, Nick.

• cosmikcat
    15 years ago

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you! I've had an out-of-town visitor and then was out of town myself. I should have plenty of tiles for both of you if you're both still interested.

My parents are visiting next weekend and then we'll start taking the tiles down. In the meantime, I'll try to get an idea of how many we have and how much they'll cost to send. I'll get back to you both later this week with more info.

• housekeeping
    15 years ago

Nick & Magnaverderde, I just a box of these greeny-aqua blue ones at a salvage place over the weekend. I plan on going back there this week and will check price and number available. Interested?

Mally~

• nick1862
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cosmikcat, Yes, I am interested. I'll be watching for your Post. Thanks, Nick.

• kim2007
    15 years ago

I had absolutely no idea that anyone would be interested in these tiles! I removed them from my kitchen, pantry and a small china cabinet pass-through when we moved in 4 years ago. They were exactly as the OP describes; a medium seafoam green with whitish marbling. I truly regret that we pitched them, as I just didn't think at the time that anyone would want them. I did find that some of them were difficult to remove without cracking, depending on how dried out the mastic was--so be careful getting them off. Most, however, just popped off with only a little prying.

• cosmikcat
    15 years ago

OK, I got a few pictures of the bathroom for you guys. My camera doesn't have a very good wide angle, but you can get an idea of just how much plastic tile we have.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Aside from the 4x4 green, you can see we have some 2x2 green and black toward the top, a black top edge and, not in the pictures, a black 4x4 edge around the bottom. If anyone wants any of these, just let me know.

We'll be tearing them down over the next few weeks. I'm going to give Nick first choice but otherwise, if we can prevent these from filling up a dump, then there there for the taking. I only ask that you pay for shipping. You can reach me at cosmikcat@yahoo.com

ps - check out that crazy wallpaper! We're so outta date that we're back in fashion again.

• housekeeping
    15 years ago

I checked at my salvage place last weekend and they have a big box (est 175+?) of these (used) green marbled plastic tiles. Does anyone want me to price them? I expect they would be pretty cheap. I plan to be near there in the next few days (i.e. Wed. or Thurs., 6/18 or 6/19).

Molly~

• nick1862
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Molly, I need greenish- blue. I would be interested if they are that color. Can anyone tell me how to attach a photo to my post? Thanks, Nick 1862.

• housekeeping
    15 years ago

Nick,

It turned out that my car was on the fritz this week so I didn't go to the salvage place. But I'm expecting to pick up my computer late next week in place that's near the warehouse so I'll check the tile then. I'll see if I can borrow one of tiles so I can make a good pic of it, and get prices and quantity available ,etc. I think these would qualify for greenish aqua-blue, but I'm not sure.

Molly~

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Nick, here is a link to garden junk telling how to post pics.
    I'm glad someone still likes those old tiles. I've always liked that look too. Its good your fixing yours now as I suspect in a few years lots of people will want them. Its just how things go!
    kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Posting pic how to

• nick1862
    Original Author
    15 years ago

href="http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/skysoldier82/?action=view¤t=70fd7497c204.jpg"; target="_blank">

Thanks to kathy, I can now show what I am lookig for. Nick.

Here is a link that might be useful: skysoldier82

• walltile
    15 years ago

please tell me someone has atleast 10 of these left. i will pay for them and shipping. thanks kristy

• kahoffm64_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Does anyone have or know where I can get some of these tiles? They are the blue version of the ones previously posted?

Thanks in Advance

• kimbeloid_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have a kitchen full of the green/aqua ones - bout ready to tear them off/down the walls - don't know what the condition will be (glue on the back) but would be happy to salvage what I can and have you pay for shipping if you're interested.
    Will send a photo later today if you're interested.

Kim

• catperson721
    12 years ago

Oh my, I had a huge amount of those when we redid our bathrooms in 1996. We threw them out because we hated them--didn't look right in our 1898 house! I had no idea back then that anyone would EVER want them. They were the blue ones.

• magnaverde_aol_com
    12 years ago

And these days, I need a bunch, too, for a new project. I'll work with whatever color anybody has.

• kbrunner001_tampabay_rr_com
    12 years ago

I'm looking for light grey plastic tile like the green ones in the other postings. What type of salvage place had them? I need about 10-15 tiles.

• sloyder
    12 years ago

ebay has them every so often

• reds3reds
    12 years ago

I am going to be taking down a whole bunch of seafoam green tiles this weekend. Is anyone interested in them? I can attach photos if you'd like.

• Alemmon
    12 years ago

I am looking for the plastic tile seafoam green with a little swirl in it let me know if anyone has any.

• zgdsmith
    12 years ago

I have these plastic green tiles in my kitchen & i'm wondering how to go about taking them down. Would it be better to try & take them down (no idea how hard it will be) or paint over them? I dont knwo much about these but I would like a different color in my kitchen.

Thanks!

• columbusguy1
    12 years ago

Think hard before tearing them out--they are becoming popular again! The trend for mosaic and glass is just a current fad...and will be replaced by something else in time.

Retro is currently the big thing, and fits an older house...if they are in good shape, I'd paint them--they make paints that will go over tile with no problem at all. Far cheaper than demolition and replacement.

• zgdsmith
    12 years ago

I'm considering leaving them and painting them a brownish color. Any recomendations on how to go about painting them? I'm not sure if type of primer/paint matters. I've read that they should be sanded, primer put on, then painted. Any other tips would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks!

• matt_mcgale_lycos_com
    12 years ago

I'm trying to replace some missing tiles in my bathroom that were ruined during a plumbing mis-hap.

I don't need that many. Maybe 15 or 20. I have the aqua coloured ones, but anything similar would be great as the missing tiles are not very visible.
    I believe they measure 4.25 inches.

Any help on tracking them down or where I could buy they would be very much appreciated

• dwhydro
    12 years ago

I am need of about 35-40 tiles to repair my mother's bathroom. The house was built in 1957. Do anyone still have any remaining?

I am looking for 4.25" x 4.25" size. Mine are aqua-blue with white wisps through them. I would appreciate anything similar.

You can contact me via e-mail at white.45@osu.edu or feel free to call my home 614-761-2110 (Columbus OH). Thanks!

Dale

• theadventurebite
    12 years ago

I am looking for around 30-40 of these tiles.

Does anyone have any??

Please email me at danicmeyer at gmail.com

Thanks!

• darajean
    11 years ago

I live in an old house and these tiles in the picture are the exact ones i need to replace 9 broken ones. Does someone happen to have a few spares?? please

• lorin
    11 years ago

Help. I am repairing a '50s bathroom and need about 30 pink 4 1/4" plastic tiles. The color is Malibu Pink and the tiles were made by Homart. Malibu pink is kind of a pink-coral color with swirls of white.