Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smoke damage in 1913 house

Posted by msbitsy (My Page) on
Wed, May 13, 09 at 20:22

My husband and I have a 1913 Queen Anne style home under contract. It's currently divided up into four apartments and a total disaster. There was a fire in the lower level of the house and the house still reeks. My H and I are going to have the house gutted to the studs and then will have the areas of damage replaced and/or sprayed with shellac. Will this be enough to eliminate the smell?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smoke damage in 1913 house

"My H and I are going to have the house gutted to the studs..."

There are much easier ways to kill smoke smell than ripping out what are likely plaster walls.

Have you priced plaster wall replacement?
Not veneer plaster (over blue board) but the real thing about 3/4 inches thick?

o

We're not going down to the studs because of the smoke damage -- the house is in bad shape and currently in 4 apartments. We need to remove walls to get the house back to where it should be. We'll keep what plaster we can.

o

If it was divided up anytime in the last 50 years nothing you remove is likely to be plaster.

Shellac is very effective at sealing in fire odors.

Use at least 2 pound cut, and 3 pound would be better.

o

I'm not sure how to remedy the smell but I wanted to wish you the best in your venture. Our recent house purchase has fire damage but thankfully it is mostly on the outside of the house (the porch is pretty burned) although some smoke did come into the house and the back door is charred badly. This is a case where the asbestos shingle siding really did save the house.

o

I have seem several options used. Spraying with a shellac based primer is probably the used the most often. You may need to do multiple coats. Another option that I have seen used is dry ice "sand blasting" where dry ice crystals are used in place of sand to remove the smoke residue. The dry ice disappears after blasting so clean up is minimal. Google "dry ice fire damage"

Here is a link that might be useful: sample link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here