Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why isn't rockwool / mineral insulation more popular?

Posted by Christianbrian1 (My Page) on
Tue, May 3, 11 at 20:08

Just looking around but it seems like rockwool is a great choice for insulation? Is there a reason why it isn't more popular? Cost? I thought the health issues were old news.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why isn't rockwool / mineral insulation more popular?

Hopefully a product like Roxul will become more popular when people realize its superiority; a little more marketing and placement wouldn't hurt.
Casey

o

Slag from steel furnaces was a common source of the base material.

With the decline in steel manufacture this ready source is now much smaller.

When the base material must be purpose made the costs end up about the same as fiberglass.

o

Glad I found it during my remodel - & utilized it widely
GC scratching head - but I got it, they installed - quite happy w/results

o

Jejvtr,

what is it about Roxul or mineral wool that you like it so much? I have also been thinking of it as well but remain undecided. Is it any harder to use than fiberglass?

o

Other than use as a fire-safing material in commercial projects the only advantage I am aware of is that mineral wool is denser than fiberglass (but similar to cellulose) so it is often considered a better sound absorber. However, in normal residential use the difference is not detectable.

If you want to upgrade your insulation from fiberglass batts at a reasonable cost, I would recommend sprayed dense-pack cellulose. If you are doing it yourself, mineral wool would have the advantage of easier installation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here