Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryinthefalls_gw

shellac problems

maryinthefalls
10 years ago

We've spent the winter taking the paint off our gumwood trim in the living room. With the warm weather, we have been putting three coats of garnet and one coat of clear shellac on the cleaned wood. The results have been spectacular. Thank you to all those who have shared their wisdom in archived threads.

So the problem; the last thing shellaced was a window. The first three coats went on fine. After my DH put on the last coat, the late May sun came out and baked the sill. The finish bubbled, forming such deep craters that the only way to repair the damage was to remove everything with alcohol and start again. This time we covered the window with newspaper. The last coat went on four days ago, so I took down the paper this morning. This evening we find the sill has bubbled again. It's not as bad as before and has sorta been repaired with another clear coat.

My question is how long will this take to dry enough to stand the mid-day summer sun? Are we doing something wrong? Any thoughts from you old house gurus? Thanks in advanced for input.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994