Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_mn

lot boundries

joe_mn
14 years ago

there are no fences between the houses on either side of my lot. actually on the whole side of the block. but our back neighbors have a 6 foot wood fence on every yard. i got a city plot of our area and staked out the lot edge. my neighbor thinks my yard is 20 ft wider than it really is and does not mow "his" yard. i have told him several times over the years where the line is but he forgets. i am tired of mowing his yard. if i choose to not cut it, he will not cut it either. he has a 15yr old kid who has been mowing this year and i figured now was a good time to get on the same page. i printed out the city map and we staked out the yard and hopefully that is that. my wife says just get over it and mow it if the kid does not want too but i should not have too. am i being picky?

Comments (11)

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Good fences make good neighbor.

• mightyanvil
    14 years ago

I deal with this issue often and have found city maps to be grossly inaccurate for boundaries and especially for building locations. The only way to locate the property line is to have it surveyed and staked.

Either hire a surveyor or let it go.

• joed
    14 years ago

If you take possession of it for long enough it will become yours. Sounds like he doesn't want it anyway.

• peanutmom
    14 years ago

It sounds like you either need a fence or just claim the ground. Depending on how long you have been maintaining the ground, you can claim it. If you don't want it, then you only have a few choices.
    1. Have it surveyed and staked.
    2. Build a fence so you don't have to look at it. (also proving to the whole world that you are not the slob)
    3. Get over it and try not to look at it.

I am currently in a similar situation with a neighbor that is moving. He is basically letting the place go to pot. The grass is already knee deep and I was going to mow it, but if he wants less than the house is worth because he's too lazy to mow, that is his problem.

Good luck and I hope you find some solution you can live with.

• mightyanvil
    14 years ago

Don't put up a fence without a survey. Don't start a fight with a neighbor; it's just too close to home.

• Pipersville_Carol
    14 years ago

Get a survey done, then put up a fence... so you won't have to spend any more time thinking about your annoying neighbor.

• bas157
    14 years ago

Just make sure to get more than one estimate for a survey if you go that route! First place told me $2600 (larger company with overhead), 2nd guy came in with a $1600 bid (one man company with office in his house, less overhead, so I guess that explains the lower price). I was told my job is alot more than normal since my lot boarders 13 other lots, is VERY weird shape, partially wooded and the deeds are old. Mine refers to a cherry tree and a granite stone...hmmm, trees die or get chopped down.

Have you tried to find any property pins (rebar seems to be commonly used). If not, maybe find a friend with a metal detector and see if you can find pins.

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

when you look for pins they may be several feet into what you think of as your front yard. The public right of way often extends onto what folks think is their yard. Our pins are a good 6 feet in from the edge of the road. Once you have a pin you can use look for others using the number of feet on your deed.
    Good luck,
    kathy

• joe_mn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

our county has plot maps online. the lots on my side of the block are about 120' wide. almost all the yards on the opposite side are 95' wide so we have no common corners. i checked the yard widths on the opposite side based on the fence locations. every yard is spot on. 95' exactly. so i am using their fence locations as a reference and i also went to the end of the block and measured in from the middle of the road (according to building inspector) and am sure of my lot dimensions.

• Carol_from_ny
    14 years ago

Do the survey and then put up a fence. It's the best money you will spend on the house BECAUSE it will give you peace of mind
    and it will resolve the problem once and for all.
    Your not doing anyone any favors trying to deal with it the way you have been. It sounds to me like you are annoying your family with it and perhaps your other neighbors and friends too.
    The only happy ending is going to be a properly installed privacy fence after it's been surveyed.

• joe_mn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

our yard is almost flat. the yard next door is steeply sloped left/right. its like a ski hill that stops at our lot line. imagine a fence at the bottom of a ski hill? i am thinking a nice row of bushes instead. in time, the other yard will be out of sight. oh, they have never heard of weed chemicals either. mostly weeds and quackgrass. at least it makes my lawn look better.