Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with the brick?

Posted by rice17 (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 19:05

We recently removed a chimney from our 1910 home and are not sure what to do with all the brick. A lot of the brick came out clean and some still has mortar on it, but seems to come off easily. Do you think we could sell it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with the brick?

Good god, why don't you use it for a sidewalk, patio or flower bed edging? Got money to burn?
I have edged my flower beds with old paving brick from sidewalk and street repairs where the city was just going to dump it!

o

Yeah, stack it up in the garage until you decide how you want to use it. Or sell it on Craig's List, or sell it to an old house salvage company. I would pay good money for red bricks from the early 20th Century.

Um, you're not in Western New York by any chance?

o

Vjrnts, actually we are in WNY - Cheektowaga.

o

Thank you for your email and the offer; I've been trying to figure out how to get bricks from Cheektowaga to Rochester, and then what to do with them once they're here, and I have to admit defeat. I'm sorry; I'd LOVE to have them, but I have no place to put them before I find a use for them.

But (and this is easy for me to say, isn't it) please don't send them to the landfill. I'll bet you can find someone who will want them; an architectural salvage store if no one else.

o

Hey, I'm in WNY too! If Craigslist doesn't work out or is too inconvenient, give ReUse a call. They will pick them up for you and it will be a tax write off.

http://www.buffaloreuse.org/Donate/Materials

How much do you want for them, anyway? :)

o

I've edged all my flower gardens with bricks that we have found on our property and it really looks nice. I wish I had enough to make a garden bench. We may lay the few remaining bricks in our soon-to-be-poured patio.
Diane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here