Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing old caulk from brick

Posted by dawner (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 07 at 18:59

After replacing the old windows in our house, a bead of very dried up caulk and paint was left there on the brick where the old window used to be. Does anybody know how to get it off without damaging the brick, which unfortunately is not a smooth brick but very rough?

I've already tried a wire brush and all I got was orange brick dust. Any suggestions? Thanks, Dawn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing old caulk from brick

One of two things...

Try gently heating it with a heat gun. You don't want to get the heat gun close enough to bubble it, only enough to make it pliable so that you can scrape it off.

The other thing would be to freeze it with liquid nitrogen and then pop it off with a sharp wood chisel. Not recommended as you can really do some damage to yourself if you get that stuff on you.

o

I don't know if this tool would be of any help for this particular application, but if it doesn't work you're only out twenty bucks.

Do a google search for 'putty chaser' and you'll find a number of vendors.

Here is a link that might be useful: putty chaser

o

The first time the carbide in the putty chaser touches the brick it will shatter, throw shrapnel everywhere, and may be out of balance enough to bend the shaft.

Try a heat gun.

o

Did you end up finding a solution? Our windows were caulked very poorly and need to be redone, but I really worry about tools that will remove the caulk damaging the window cladding or the soft sand-faced brick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here