Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Kitchen demo - linoleum flooring - asbestos?

Posted by thedork (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 18:50

Well, I am freaking out since I start reading about old linoleum and glue and asbestos. Demo starts in a month.

Did any of you deal with that before or during demo? Should I cut a piece and test it? It an old ranch 1951-1952 house with 2 layers of linoleum in the kitchen.

Please share your thoughts and concerns. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Kitchen demo - linoleum flooring - asbestos?

True linoleum is linseed oil, sawdust and canvas.

As for "vinyl asbestos" tile, which was squares of glue-down, just don't grind it up and inhale it, don't sand it. If you soften the flooring with heat and scrape it off, it'slow hazard.

Those people who got cancer from asbestos had several things in common: Heavy smoking for years and HEAVY asbestos exposure (worked spraying it as insulation, mining it or making things of it).

FYI, there is more asbestos in the air in the San Jose area naturally than the EPA permits on a job site.

RE: Kitchen demo - linoleum flooring - asbestos?

The adhesive that was used for floor covering applications during that period is, "cutback" and contains asbestos fibers as a binder.
There is a simple test that you can do to ascertain the presents of cutback adhesive.
Using a sharp blade cut a 2"x2" square through one or both layers of the flooring material and remove the first layer,
The exposed adhesive may be black in color.
Heat some water to boiling and spill a few drops on the adhesive.
Repeat for each layer.
If the water drops remain intact, the adhesive is cutback.
If the adhesive dissolves and liquifies, you do not have cutback adhesive.
Asbestos becomes dangerous and absorbable when it is "friable", IE. airborne.
There are a number of citrus based removers which can be safely used.

RE: Kitchen demo - linoleum flooring - asbestos?

See Inspectapedia for authoritative references to asbestos identification, remediation and removal.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here