Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Yucky 90s Carpeting and found ))))

Posted by lazygardens (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 18:11

Craptastical 90s plywood :- (

I'm not to that point yet, but it looks like they might have ripped out the oak flooring and nailed on plywood as a subfloor for the carpeting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Yucky 90s Carpeting and found ))))

I believe you but ,WHY would somebody take the time to rip out the flooring?

o

How old is the house????

o

The front bedroom has oak laid over a painted pine floor that was the original flooring until they could afford the oak. I was hoping to find the old, battered oak under the carpeting, but it might be all gone.

I only have a few small chunks exposed - they 1/4 round shoe molding is over the tack strips so I have to remove molding, then lift carpet. I'm hoping they only removed the "bad parts".

Jaysmom ... 1885 or earlier, based on some town panoramas.

Christopher - Beats the heck out of me, unless the old floor was totally wrecked and rotted.

o

As Jim Morrison once said
"people are strange"

o

I found a few bits of newspaper used to stuff gaps before liberal application of caulk on the 1/4 round that holds the carpet down. One refers to "President-elect" Clinton ... so that carpet is from Nov-Dec 1992 or Jan 1993. No wonder it looks bad!

Good news is that the oak in the hallway appears to be still there - at least in the corner I've pulled back. I'm revitalized!

o

They caulked between the shoe molding and the carpet?????

o

Mostly the caulk is between the shoe molding and the baseboard ... but there are some places where it's stuck to the carpet too. Wrecking bars are a wonderful thing.

Good news is that the whole hallway is old oak and not in horrible shape. That's 100sf less to buy and install :)

This post was edited by lazygardens on Thu, May 9, 13 at 18:44

o

Yup ... it's 3/4in plywood nailed to the joists. With nothing but air under it.

:(

This post was edited by lazygardens on Sat, May 11, 13 at 15:45

o

On the bright side: here's the floor in the middle bedroom. It's scuffed to bare wood in spots, but it has no major problems except along one wall where I need to fit a board to fill a funky-shaped gap.

This is a scuff sand and Waterlox project/

o

Here's what's under the LR and DR ... yes,that's drywall mud "sealing" the gaps between the sheets of plywood. I'm knocking it off as best I can and using caulk.

It's about two months before the flooring arrives. So I'm painting the floor just to make it easier to keep clean.

The bright side is that with all that carpeting and padding gone, the house smells far better.

o

As a temporary fix, I painted it.,

I painted it purple! Sort of a greyed purple found in the local "oops" mistint bin, but at least it's smooth, easy to keep clean and all one color.

o

And it's almost done! I have to insert the partial boards at the edges, but the main part of the floor is DONE!

Compare with the pre-paint image a couple of images above.

o

Looks terrific, what a change! See you have a back massager on the sofa, bet it gets a lot of use! My DD bought me 1 that does Shiatsu massage & I love it, next best thing to a person giving a massage, has heat too! Do you have to finish the floor or is it prefinished? My dd had a flood from pipe breaking in the cement foundation so she is shopping for new flooring too.

o

That's some sort of a floor chair my previous roommate had. I rely on doing small quantities every day, and taking frequent breaks.

The floor is prefinished 2 1/4 red oak ("character grade"), from flooring.org

There was a budget constraint, and also I didn't want the mess and extra time of site finishing, and was willing to give up the super-smooth floor that site finishing gives to avoid the hassle of sanding, staining, multiple coats of topcoat.

Installing is not difficult - it's the same thing, row after row after row ... whap the boards into place, cut the last one to fit, use the floor nailer to nail them down and repeat on the next row.

The difference between an amateur and a pro on installing most floors is speed. This is as good as any local pro could do, but it took a lot longer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here