Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berry2020

Old home needs tlc and plant ideas

berry2020
9 years ago

My boyfriend and I just got a new (older) home. The inside is very nice and we have a fenced acre, but the outside could use some love. We plan on pressure washing and repainting a more neutral combination. I am excited with ideas to decorate the house with beautiful plants and landscaping but I need some suggestions. I would like to take advantage of the boarded off space in front of the house and the front porch with a walkway. Also, how can I distract from those windows!

I would love to hear your ideas. I uploaded a picture of the front and fyi we live in Gainesville, fl.

Comments (7)

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

Seeing as how you are going to paint the house in neutral colors, I would go with colorful flowers/bushes. How about mandevilla or passion fruit vines growing in a pot on either side of the front porch pillars. Plant a Rose of Sharon bush or two on the left side of the house to soften its' edges. A longer trough window planter could go under the window on the left filled with bright colored annuals and green foliage trailing plants. I think we have a Florida growing forum here at the GW. You might post your question on what grows well in your area there also. NancyLouise

• berry2020
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Nancy!

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I would post this on the Home Decorating forum and ask for ideas regarding the house. It helps to drive around the neighborhood to see what other people have done with similar style houses.

A bunch of random thoughts:

The windows look to be aluminum. You can paint aluminum. Or at least give them a good cleaning using a steel wool pad to get any crud off. Or think about replacing them if they leak air.

I don't see gutters in the picture. If they are needed, I would have that done.

You might want to replace the light fixture near the door, and if you are going to keep the dog door, paint the plastic surround the same color as the door.

You will probably get suggestions to change the columns of the porch. I think they are an interesting character feature of the house.

The area under the right window calls out for a pretty all-weather wicker chair.

Though I don't much like the blue, a two-color color scheme works well, and then maybe introduce a third color on the door. I don't know what colors work well in Fla, but I'm thinking of a light gray on the body of the house with darker gray trim, and then a bright colored door.

Replace the door mat with one that is large and pretty. It is the details that will give your house charm.

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

note that rose of sharon bush (athena)...actually gets tree sized in
    hot humid climates. mine is over 16' tall...about 10 years old,
    I'd add witch hazel slower grower, nice purple leaf with fuscia
    colored flowers.

• Turner58800
    9 years ago

I like the two toned grey for a color scheme and would suggest a yellow door!

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

Sweet house! Congratulations! We used to live near Gainesville and loved to go there.

I'm one of the ones who will suggest replacing the porch columns -- they look a little too insubstantial to be holding up the porch roof. I don't mean in actual fact, but visually. How about beefing them up -- maybe building a "false column" of wood around them, maybe also a third column right in the center, then a porch railing on the left half and between the house and the side columns.

Many Florida houses, in my recollection, use "pure" pastels on the exterior because of the sunight and vibrant colors in the landscape. Look around the neighborhood and see which color combinations you like, and pick one of them. Then bring in flowers that coordinate with it.

Along with the Rose of Sharon you could use azaleas, hibiscus, gardenias, small rhododendrons, nandina, camellias, etc. Monkey grass (liriope) is a lush, tough border plant, great for lining your beds and walkway. What direction does the front of the house face? This will help determine which plants are best.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Have you posted on the Cottage Garden forum? I know that there (and Antique Rose forum) there are a lot of people from Florida...many grown China roses and Tea roses. They may do well in your area and would look very nice with your 'new' home :)