Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Need A Creative Solution for A Hole In Tile Wall

Laurie
12 years ago

There is a switch plate sized hole in my bathroom wall where well, a switch plate used to be.

The prior owner had moved the electrical over at some point, covered the hole with a plate but the plate had deteriorated over the years and he never bothered to repair it. Most likely when he went from knob and tube to new wiring. So, there's old disconnected wiring hanging in the hole.

When I took possession of the home, the plate was hanging off the wall and this was one of the things on my Temporary Certificate of Occupancy which I need to repair.

Since the bathroom is literally falling apart, I'm in no mood to actually repair the hole with tile, Besides the fact that the tile is vintage, and doing the repair would be sort of time consuming and; considering tiles are falling off the wall left and right in every direction on every wall, and my intention is to eventually gut the room - it makes no sense to do repairs at this time.

So I suddenly got the idea that maybe just finding something to place over the hole might be a solution. Not sure what though. Maybe a towel ring? One of those small wall shelves I see at Target in the home accessories area? Something decorative like that. It's near the new switch plate so it can't be too large but I think the DOB is just looking for it to be closed up - I don't think they care what goes there; as long as the old electrical wires aren't seen sticking out of the wall.

Any ideas? I'm open to suggestions. Either that or I supposed I could get some wire mesh, place it behind the wall, mud over it and try and place a few tiles to cover it, but since the ones all around are chipped a bit - like I said, it's really just like throwing a tiny child's bandaid on a gaping wound if I do that lol.

Comments (15)

• slateberry
    12 years ago

I'm a big fan of humorous art in bathrooms. Frame a whimsical postcard to cover the spot. But please, not the "We aim to please, you aim too..." one.

Try the museum of bad art. Maybe they have an appropriate sized print of Sunday on the Pot with George. Just typing it gives me the giggles.

Ah, I see they have postcards. You can send me an extra (since they only come in 4 packs). Lucy in the Field with Flowers would be great too. Check out the story that comes with that one--just not while drinking Coke.

And on a more serious note, when you do want to fix the tile, steal one from waaay behind the toilet tank. It's the best place to get spare tiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: George

• slateberry
    12 years ago

I thought the first just didn't show bc my kids had an old browser app open, but I just checked and it doesn't work in Chrome either. But this one should.

Here is a link that might be useful: George take 2

• Laurie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think I have to actually put something over the hole which is considered permanent, not just a picture. So, a towel rack which has a large backplate, or a shelf; both of which attach to the wall would be appropriate but, a picture which just hang on a nail - would not as it doesn't address the hole itself.

Or that's my take on it. I could be wrong.

I probably should call them and find out.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

You could probably glue another switch plate over the hole.

• Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

Put a switch plate cover on it and then buy one of those easy release hooks and hang it over the cover and toss a towel on it. You won't have to look at the ugly switch plate.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess gluing another plate might work. It would have to be a bit larger though. We couldn't drill it in because the other owner tried to do that, and that's the reason the whole thing cracked apart!

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Just glue a blank switch plate over the hole.

Clear silicone would be a decent glue here.

• karinl
    12 years ago

I think what your puzzle might be is not so much what to put over, but how to attach it. Aren't there braces that you put inside an opening to screw a ceiling light fixture to? Or is there something in the plumbing section, maybe where the overflow screen is screwed into?

So my suggestion is to go shopping for a brace first, and then figure out what you can screw to it. We have several random holes in our floors for which my husband simply made brass sheet cutouts that screwed down. They are simple but attractive. A piece of wood or other metal should also work. But in fact, maybe you can find an old light fixture ceiling medallion, a piece of antique door hardware, or what have you.

Of course, it sounds as if you could also use either latex sealer or simply glue - hot glue or other - to glue something on, if you don't want to be able to remove it until you are taking a crowbar to the whole room.

And the wires are dead? If not, you're capping them, right?

KarinL

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"I think what your puzzle might be is not so much what to put over, but how to attach it. Aren't there braces that you put inside an opening to screw a ceiling light fixture to? Or is there something in the plumbing section, maybe where the overflow screen is screwed into? "

Complete overkill.

Find a blank switch plate large enough to cover th ehole and glue it to the wall.

If the hole is really large, have a piece of 1/4 inch plywood cut to cover the hole, then paint it and glue it up.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glue, solves everything I guess lol.

Sort of like duct tape :D

• DavidR
    12 years ago

Hot glue! Great short term solution for stuff like this.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Glue, solves everything I guess lol.

Sort of like duct tape :D"

Not everything, but it works well when applied correctly.

Trying to fasten to a tile wall to cover a hole is not a good place to be installing anchors into the tile.
    They might hold, but if there has already been any damage to the tile or backer just drilling a hole (even with the correct carbide tile spear point bits) can make matters worse.
    The tile could also pop off the backing when the screw expands the anchor making the needed repair even larger.

This is a perfect place for a gap filling product like silicone seal glue.
    The cover can be made large enough to have an acceptable bonding area, and the silicone will stick to the smooth tile well enough to hold the cover in place once it sets.

It will likely take some tape to hold the cover in place till the silicone sets up.

A better repair can then be done at a latter convenient date if desired by cutting the silicone and removing the cover and any silicone remaining on the tile.

• Peg Leg
    8 years ago

I had this same issue some years ago. I organised the installation tiny soft "night-light." It was wonderful; solved the problem and become a practical and atmospheric solution!

• PRO
    Benjamin Barnett Painting
    8 years ago

Check with your building inspector, there might be a code that states the only thing that can cover the wires and junction box is a switch plate. I would hate for you to spend the time on a really interesting solution like making a cover out of stained glass (the kind you cant see through) only to find out when the inspector comes out to give you the C.O. that your new cover is illegal.

• Peg Leg
    8 years ago

Work was most definitely fully compliant, carried out by registered /certified electrician, and being in an (Sydney) Australian (mega-luxury) home.

(A heated towel rack had been located in an incorrect location, too low...and needed to be repositioned at a higher level.)

At my suggestion, the electrician installed two small (eye-ball sized) low-voltage, wall-lights ...and as I (earlier) mentioned, the installation was a definite attractive addition, to the ambience of the bathroom.