Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding soil to foundation of house to improve grading/slope

Posted by mickimax (My Page) on
Thu, May 4, 06 at 16:42

My brick & limestone house was built in 1868. I don't have any problems with the basement or foundation, but I do have a lot of top soil left over from this spring's truckload that was delivered to me for my gardens. Can I add it to the foundation to increase/improve the grading for the foundation? One side of the house has a very slanted slope, so doesn't need any fill. The other side looks almost flat, like there isn't much of a slope from the foundation to the sidewalk. Would I be hurting anything if I added soil to the foundation on this side to have a more slanted pitch to the yard here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding soil to foundation of house to improve grading/slope

Without seeing the situation, I would hesitate to recommend adding soil near a foundation wall. To increase slope I would try removing soil farther away from the foundation, and then grading from the point close the foundation to the (now) lower point, if that is possible.

Adding soil near the foundation will raise it closer to your floors and sill beams. Not a good idea. As long as it slopes away, even modestly, I wouldn't want to disturb the existing drainage patterns.

You can stock pile your top soil, by putting it in an out of the way spot and seeding it with a cover crop. Or even just rake a thin (1/2 inch) layer of it over your existing grass. It is endlessly useful stuff.

Molly~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here