Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to date structure by roof line

Posted by sapphire69 (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 16:41

This is a drawing for a carriage house in my back yard that is in extreme disrepair. I'm currently getting work done on the main house so there's next to no funds available to work on this carriage house but I'd like to save it before it collapses. I'm hoping to apply for some historical funding but I have no idea how old the structure is. The earliest date on my abstract for the main house is 1881 but I don't know if the carriage house was built at the same time (or even if the main house was built then!). Someone suggested that the roof line might help to date it but I don't know what it's called and haven't been able to find a photo with a matching roof. If anyone has any information to provide on the style of this structure, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Carriage House Drawing

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to date structure by roof line

Called "gable on hip" AFAIK.
Could be 1881-1900.
Do any of the moldings match anything on the house?
Casey

o

Thanks, Casey!

Unfortunately, due to all of the years of neglect, there are no real moldings to speak of. I can post a picture of the actual structure when I get to work tomorrow.

o

Here's a picture of the actual building, if that helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Actual structure

This post was edited by sapphire69 on Wed, May 22, 13 at 10:40

o

Hi,
There's all kinds of molding! Crown, bed mold, german siding. beadboard door panels. One idea: look for a patent date on the sliding door hardware. They look like they were originally sliders, and a lot of the ironwork of the era has patent dates.
Casey

o

Thanks, Casey!! Your eyes are much better than mine! I will try to get in there over the weekend to see if I can find a patent date anywhere.

o

Okay, so I made it out to the carriage house but didn't find any stamping on the hardware. That's not to say that it doesn't have any but just that I didn't see any.

Any other ideas I could try?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here