Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Material for porch brackets

Posted by jaz50y (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 16:18

I want to replace some of the porch brackets on my 125-year-old Victorian cottage. The existing ones are 3/4" material, tho I could go to 1" if I replaced all (which is an option). To get the width I needed at Lowe's or HD, I had to try a laminated, stain-grade pine, which I will seal, prime, and paint with Duration. But I am not convinced this stuff can last. Can anyone suggest other materials (hopefully readily available)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Material for porch brackets

How large are the brackets?

Without dimensions it is pretty hard to recommend material.

o

I'm not sure what type of brackets you're looking for, but have you looked at the Vintage Woodworks site? I've been very happy with what I've ordered from them.

o

I made some replacement brackets from Versatex cellular PVC. It can be sawed, routed etc with regular woodworking equipment (though carbide bits/blades hold up better). It is paintable any color, provided you request SW's "Vinyl Safe" formulation. I painted ours with Duration "Stamped Concrete" and they came out great.

o

I can't order premade, because they have to be exactly the same, per landmark rules. I am experimenting with some scraps of Azek, which I understand is basically the same as Versatex, but the melting while cutting is a bit of a problem. Also the blizzard that results from routing, but I can just keep the vac running...

The brackets are 17.5" x 28".

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of the porch bracket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here