Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackcats13

putting in a new window

blackcats13
13 years ago

I'm just thinking ahead here. We're about to start a bit of a kitchen remodel, but there isn't anything for me to think/plan about there right now, so I'm thinking about next year ;)

The room that will be our bedroom in the upstairs back of the house has 1 door and 1 double hung window that open to the back porch addition. To put a "real" window into the room we'll be putting it into the roof, because of the way our roof slopes down. We have knee walls on one side of the room - the other side was 'finished' out to the roof wall. The other 'finished' side is where we're contemplating a window.

What kind of work is involved in something like this? Is it a huge deal, 10k+ worth of work? Or something done all the time and only a couple thousand? Or is it one of those really complex things that you don't know until you look at a bunch of other details?

These kind of show the side of the room with the knee walls, can't really put a window here:

This is the other side, which is currently a pantry closet, where we hope to put a window (and remove the pantry wall). There is also a tiny window in here looking out to the addition.:

Last, a view out the door and window:

Comments (9)

• User
    13 years ago

I know you uploaded photos of the area, but for some reason, it is very confusing. Can you at least elaborate on what you are trying to achieve? You have so many roof and ceiling angles, I do not think anyone can tell what is what because the photos are so dark and lack detail.

Try some different shots, or draw out the floor plan. You're familiar with the space, but no one else can tell what is located where.

• blackcats13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hm. Good point. Maybe that was info overload as well? Let's just say I want to put a window in this wall, which is the underside of the roof and part of the original house. It is not the addition (if that matters), not a dormer. We would've done a dormer when we did the roof if we could have afforded it then.

Here's a bigger copy of the relevant pic. I can't take new ones right now, all the baby stuff is crammed into those rooms. I'm not sure if this is more clear than my original post...?

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

So are you asking about cutting a dormer and redoing that part of the roof?

Other than that I think the window would have to be more of a skylight.

• slateberry
    13 years ago

I am generally a frugal person but I permanently pay for the Angie's list subscription. The site is not perfect, searches often return far too many results (of which only a few turn out to be relevant), but I found my carpenter/gc/unofficial old house restorer from them.

I mention this because regardless of what numbers we give you, the estimates you get could vary widely. Just off the top of my head, and based on the cost of adding windows to my house, I'd say, easily, under 3K. Maybe even under 1500, depending on the exterior height and accessibility, and if you do some of the painting and finish work yourself. But if you're talking a dormer, then closer to 3K or over.

I got pella architect series windows for 700 ea, and the labor to install them (where there had been nothing before), including aprons, sills, interior and exterior trim, staining, painting, etc., was less than 1K per window. I actually don't know the exact cost because there was other work too.

I know this is very meandering, and I hope one of the building pros chimes in, but maybe it's still useful input.

It looks like a good space, nice proportions, especially like the steep roof angles. Please repost when you're done with it.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    13 years ago

Yeah, I say just get an estimate. If you have a Home and Garden Show near you soon, they always have a gazzilion contractors happy to come out and give you free estimates for all kinds of things.

Carla in Sac

• blackcats13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the replies! We wanted to do a dormer, but it's out of our range $$. Of course, the only dormer estimate we got was from the place whose roof tear off quote was easily double the others, so maybe I shouldn't rule that out yet.

I'm hesitant to get a contractor out at this point because it's work we aren't going to do until next year at the earliest, so for now it's a bit of a waste of both their and our time. Was just kind of looking for what others have experienced. I know that can vary widely, but I figured in general the estimates could be within a few thousand, which is plenty close enough at the dreaming stage ;)

We do have Angie's List - invaluable for the old house owner =D

• User
    13 years ago

Blackcats13, it would not hurt to begin a conversation with contractors well in advance of your need. It might be possible for them to do your job cheaper in a slow season, if he is aware of what you want and the extent of the work.
    And, you could possibly arrange to shop around for the windows or whatever and get them cheaper--perhaps, you know.

I know my contractor neighbor will do some small fill-in jobs in order to keep his crews together. Times are tough, and if you do have a chance to get to know contractors, and can find one you have confidence in, you'll be way ahead of the curve. Pictures are fine, but having him/her LOOK at the place, he will better judge and may have some useful ideas for you. It does not hurt to ask, you know.

• blackcats13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks moccasinlanding, I think I will take that advice when things settle down here - after kitchen refresh and baby arrival ;)

• User
    13 years ago

Good luck, Blackcat. The desire to "nest" is especially strong when there is a baby on the way. :)