Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bathroom remodel in stages?

Posted by violet99 (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 08 at 15:17

I'm a first time homeowner and so please excuse my ignorance. My condo was built in the 20s and we believe the whole place has plaster lathe walls that were more recently covered with plaster board. The bathroom is unbearably ugly but we haven't got the 10k+ to do the remodelling in one fell swoop. What if we had the walls and ceiling taken down to the studs, plumbing and electrical done then left it without proper walls until we could afford to have sheetrock and tile installed? If we left the floor until last and there was a problem with the subflooring, would we risk having to backtrack? I would appreciate any alternative suggestions that would help us to do it a couple grand at a time. (we're keeping the old tub and my husband can replace the sink and toilet himself.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bathroom remodel in stages?

Don't open up the walls until you can do the whole job.
And check your condo documents - you may not own the walls, just the surface.
If you open up the walls, you will expose the walls of your neighbor's condo, or the floor and ceiling framing of the condo above or below yours. There will be sound transmission, and their plumbing and electrial wiring. If the bathroom is on an outside wall it will be cold and drafty. It will also be dirty.
Perhaps you can make it look good with paint?

You can buy a new sink and a new toilet and install them, new faucets, new mirror, light fixtures and towel bars too. These can all easily moved and reused when you get to the walls and floor.

You will want to upgrade the electrical and the plumbing connections, repair any rot when you remove the walls. It is a major job which, to be done well, should be done all at once. Expect problems and unknowns. Budget extra money for disasters - they are lurking there, unseen and unknowable.

Your lathe and plaster walls help make your apartment quiet because they are heavier and thicker than plaster board. They are better quality walls than a plaster board wall. Consider saving them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here