Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maisoui1_gw

cold air reutrn covers

maisoui1
18 years ago

Our 1932 house uses oil heat. We have these very large (more than 2 ft) cold air returns on the walls. The covers look something like this - http://www.crafthome.com/subsidiarypages/registers/coldair/coldairreturnsMainFramePage.htm. Other than the site in the link, which is very expensive, I haven't been able to find them anywhere - not even HD. The cover goes over the recessed area in the wall. Can the area in the wall be safely closed down so I can use a smaller size? Has anyone made their own? I just don't know what to do. They are all over the house. The old covers have years and years of paint that I can't get off and they look really bad. Any input.

Comments (17)

• snoonyb
    18 years ago

The system was designed for optimum efficiency, reducing the size will affect that design.
    Remove them and remove the "offending" accumulation with any number of paint removers available, prime, paint and replace.

• vjrnts
    18 years ago

Maisoui1, what products or methods have you tried to get the old paint off? Dumond makes a number of paint removers that seem to be safe and easy to use, although I'm only going by what I'm reading on their site, http://www.peelaway.com. I've never used Peel Away, but it looks as though it might do what you want.

I'm playing with the idea of using this stuff to strip some of the painted woodwork in our new house. I'm not sure I want to commit to such a huge job, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peel Away Products Page

• kzarina17
    18 years ago

I'd definately try to remove the paint. I removed all the paint from my vent covers and they are beautiful japanned copper, I left them that way since they match our door hinges as well. If the original metal is not what you're after, I'd paint them to match either your walls or trim.

• Vivian Kaufman
    18 years ago

I can't get your link to work.

Anyway, are they the egg crate style? If so, this is something that I have researched, as we have the same. Suffice it to say, that there are NOT many places to purchase new, and if you can find them, they are very expensive. Perhaps a local wood worker could make them for you at a better price if they are indeed that bad.

Ours are bad, and after finding out how much they cost, we stripped and sanded some paint off and repainted them. They look better, but still.....eh..... I'd really like new.

• maisoui1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just tried the link - it works. You just have to click on either honeycomb or basket weave on the left side of the page to see what they look like.

I didn't think of the efficiency issue especially when you consider that relatively small thing that is inside (about 20+inches or so wide and about 6 inches high.

I guess the best thing then is to strip and repaint.

• Sully6
    18 years ago

Hey Maisoui,

I just purchased some new register covers. They are expensive, no two ways about it. Here are some of the resources I consulted.

Pattern Cut

Reggio Registers

Beaux-Artes

Shop4Classics

Urban Registers

Search for products at the Old House Web

Resources from Period Homes

Good luck!

• maisoui1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the links. They are really beautiful but boy are they expensive - primarily due to the size that I need. I wonder if there is some way to make a cover with crown moulding as the border and some kind of metal to allow air flow without the whole thing looking tacky?

• mfrog
    18 years ago

To strip the originals, you need a metal pan large enough for the cover to be immersed. Simmer on the stove top in water with some powdered laundry detergent. This may take awhile and try turning it occasionally. This works well for metal hardware as well.

• maisoui1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Powdered laundry detergent? I didn't know that would remove the paint from the metal. I thought I had to use some sort of paint stripper. The panels are so big that I don't have a container that is big enough to immerse them.

• mfrog
    18 years ago

The combination of acids in the soap with the simmering water seems to loosen the paint off enough so it just slides off.
    Maybe try a canning pot (buy an old one from Thrift store) putting the piece on end.
    Where there's a will there's a way! :)

• Debbie Downer
    18 years ago

I was skeptical of the boiling water method, but it works beautifully.

But if too large then take them off, lie them flat somewhere out of the way where you can pour a layer of orange stripper over them for 12-20 hrs, then take stiff brush and scrub them down-- ok to use tsp + hot water to remove stripping residue if you thoroughly dry them off w/ towel & don't let them rust. I used rustoleum primer + spray paint on mine and they look great.

Pls. don't get rid of yr. original hardware! Unless it truly is junk but 99.9% of the stuff in old home is very collectible (look at the prices they charge for architectural items at flea markets!) and has even more $$ value as authentic original part of your house.

• maisoui1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I guess my ignorance will really show now :) What is orange stripper?

• mfrog
    18 years ago

I'm not sure if it is the same in the US as Canada, but we have a citrus based stripper which doesn't have the same harsh chemicals as a lot of the other ones, it works slower and doesn't dry out nearly as quick, like "Maisoui1" said you can coat it and leave it overnight, if it is dried out in the morning, just apply another coat and use an old brush to take off the paint. I get mine from Lee Valley, you may have to get it from a specialty place like them. Although I think I saw it at Home Depot here recently. Good Luck!

• Debbie Downer
    18 years ago

Yes, the citrus based stripper is not toxic and won't give you chemical burns (like the nasty methyl chloride ones). But certainly you could use any paste or gel-type stripper. Around here Citristrip (brand name) is very popular & commonly seen in any hardware store even the small ones. Its so much fun removing paint and decades of crud from things! This weekend I just removed layers of dingy paint from a art-deco type of light fixture-- and found it was a very cool pinkish colored ceramic underneath!

• gw:christine-nurse
    17 years ago

I'm trying to repace a plain old cold air return furnace cover--the hole measures 6 by 30. I can't find one. Does anyone have any idea?

• cateyanne
    17 years ago

My mother had the same problem, tons of paint layers on all her register grates. My brother took them to a local place and had them sand blasted, was not very expensive (my mom is on a fixed income) and they look like brand new!

• kec01
    17 years ago

I got a big pot at a thrift store and stripped outs using the boiling water method 1/2 at a time. Took a bit longer, but the tiger striping on the cover is beautiful now!. Cost 3.00.