Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you ever seen an overmantel like this? (Circa 1890)

Posted by jlc102482 (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 14:49

This is a fireplace that was in a home on a recent historical home tour in my area. The homeowner showed it to us and was as perplexed by it as we were. What would YOU call this style? The house was built about 1890 and after looking at the original plans, it does appear as though this was an original element.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you ever seen an overmantel like this? (Circa 1890)

Looks like it could be Colonial Revival to me...imitating probably a Federal mirror?

o

Some ideas below.

Victorian Reproduction Mantel

Federalist Mantel

Whatever style, it's fine looking and original. If the mirror is pitted or cloudy do not change it!

o

High Victorian.
It really looks like an exterior window trim (from a Oeil de boef window) brought indoors. The style corresponds to Renaissance revival.
Casey

o

Thanks for the ideas! Casey, you're right, it DOES look like an exterior window now that I'm looking at it. It's interesting, whatever it is. Just for fun, here's a photo of the house it's in.

o

Does not look like it matches the rather clean looking fireplace surround. And it is disproportionately large. I say it was added later.
Diane

o

"If the mirror is pitted or cloudy do not change it!"

Even Versailles' hall of mirrors is being reconditioned.

Old mirror technology often used actual silver ad was subject to long term damage.

Newer mirrors use aluminum and have a longer life expectancy.

If you have a new mirror installed to replace an old one, save the old one anyway.

o

Kinda looks like Eastlake to me...esp. due to the age of the home.

o

I was at an auction today and heard a discussion about mantels and mirrors. It so happened they had one and they also had a pump organ. On guy who seemed knowledgeable said it was common that the mirror over the fireplace was the top part including the mirror of a pump organ.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here