Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need input on door style

Posted by abbycat9990 (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 11 at 14:12

We've been fixing/replacing/repainting this 1950 prairie-inspired ranch for 5 years, and now it's time to deal with the front door.
o1903FE1
I stripped off many layers of paint, but all I found was a dingy green and impenetrable coat of primer (?) and cracked, brittle veneer. We've stripped another of the exterior doors and uncovered a lovely birch veneer on the interior side, so we were very hopeful the front door would yield a similar prize.

As we'd like to have a window on the door anyway, we're thinking that we should just replace the whole thing and not bother to try to restore it. At this point, it's got a skimpy coat of brown paint on it so as not to scare the neighbors-LOL!
feb 008
The door was 84" x 36", and has been shaved down a bit in height to accommodate a wood floor that was installed by a previous owner. We can get a door custom made locally, which will save us the expense and hassle of pulling out the unit and replacing it with a standard 80" door in a new unit. The question is, what style? We'd love a mid-mod door like we see on the Crestview website (http://www.crestviewdoors.com/index.php/diy-kits), but a craftsman style might be more do-able for our door people. What do you all think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need input on door style

Crestview sells the window kits to install in solid-core exterior flush doors. They used to sell the doors but re-worked the company so that they sell the components they were adding to the flush doors.

It would be an easy job for your custom door guys to customize a good exterior flush door with one of the Crestview kits so if thats what you want, go for it.

I think Pasadena or Carlysle would look great on your house.

Or, you could always do a plain, full-lite door.

o

The house I grew up in was a 1958 ranch, and its front door was a three-light door, each about one foot square, placed on a diagonal about six inches apart. The 'Newman' looks closest to what we had.

Your picture is a little dark, but I see more ranch than mid-century modern to the style, though that would work also.

Somehow the idea of a full-length window strikes me as wrong for a mid century ranch....

o

With the 4' overhangs and the windows, we've always thought of the house as prairie-inspired. When we search for "prairie" or Frank Lloyd Wright" door styles, we end up with craftsman or even mission. While I love both of those styles, I think a slab door with cool window cut outs would look best. We played with Door-O-Vision on the Crestview site, and agreed on the Parkway, which is an 18" x 6" pane centered and vertical. The local millwork place pieces doors together, and can't do slab. They proposea modified paneled door with a glass insert in the style of the Parkway.

Our problem is that the door size is non standard, and we haven't found an 84" slab door to order. So, looking for a good compromise. Thanks for input.

o

I'd try searching at salvage yards and antique malls...one near me has tons of doors, hardware, etc. You might get lucky!

o

You should be able to get a solid slab exterior door from a number of manufacturers. I had a 96" x 44" slab door on my old apartment and I think they special ordered it from the home center.

I have dealt with this company through a local distributor for panel doors but they do make slabs. The local distributor was also able to give me other options for slab doors as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maiman Doors

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here