Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixture of Siding (Wood and Vinyl)

Posted by jburr827 (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 11 at 13:17

Hey Everyone,

I am working on an old house. It is 2.5 stories with 3 dormers. The dormers are difficult to reach as the roof is steep and short - I am guessing I will need a lift to work on them from the outside. My question is in regards to the siding. Right now the house is sided with cedar lap siding with a 2.5 - 3 inch reveal. Most of the siding is in good shape. The dormers however need some work. Next year I would like to replace the cedar siding on the dormers with vinyl but leave the rest of the house in wood. I don't particularly care for vinyl, but no other material has a reveal this size and I woldn't have to paint that area (except for the window trim which I can do from the inside) which would be a big plus.

Has anyone done anything like this? Part of the house in wood and a non-adjacent area in matched vinyl? Am I out of my mind here? Will this look bad in 5 to 10 years? I am just trying to set myself for less maintenance with the dormers due to their inaccessibility.

Thanks,

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixture of Siding (Wood and Vinyl)

A pic would be nice to compare with my house--it has three dormers in a hipped roof, but the sides of them are finished in the roofing material, not sided since the sides are smallish triangular areas. The only clapboards on mine are between the corner boards and the window trim--about six inches long, and easily reached from the windows.

Personally, I would stay away from siding, with good prep, you won't need to redo those areas for a long time.

Photobucket

o
RE: Mixture of Siding (Wood and Vinyl)

the dormer siding is visually separated from the rest of the siding so that will help some, but it will not look as good as all wood, period. but i can understand wanting to make that tradeoff. i think we all make tradeoffs because our time is not unlimited. my advice would be to look for something like hardy plank - it is a much closer imitation of the real thing and you are dealing with a relatively small quantity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here