Anyone move a house?

Posted by marys1000 (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 07 at 13:11

Just wondering if anyone ever looked into or did this and
what they found out or how it went.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone move a house?

I will let this descend as it appears no one has.....

o

I think if you post on oldhouseweb dot com, you'll find 1 or 2 who have moved houses.

o

I have no personal experience with moving a house, but the house we are closing on next week was moved to its current location about 55 years ago. It was apparently dragged from another location by horses(original location had a stone foundation and dirt floor) to this location with a poured foundation. The house itself is 140 years old.

It is in need of some structural work, but not really related to being moved. After it was put in its new location, they installed a wood burning furnace and cut some support beams and joists to make it fit.

Sorry I don't have anything more helpful to add! Good luck :)

GP

o

My late husband and I purchased and moved a two story hand hewn log house that was 104 years old in 1982. We spent weekends for a couple of months preparing it for the move. At first we thought that we'd have to totally disassemble, number all the logs, & reassemble but the house mover told us that if we could drop the roof below the utility line heights that he could move it and it would be more cost affective for us. He charged $100 per mile to move it and that included placing the house on a concrete pier foundation. We hired friends in the construction business to help us remove the roof (it was tin) and dropped, or some might say lowered, the joists & rafters to below utility line heights for the move. At the time, had we not lowered the height, the phone company charged $75 per drop & raise of their lines and the electric company charged $200 per drop & raise for theirs. Moved 12 miles that would have been a LOT of drops and a LOT of money. The actual move cost us $1,200. I've forgotten what we paid the friends that helped with lowering and raising the roof again once on site but it was way less than paying the utility companies for moving their lines. I'm sure the prices now'adays are bound to be much higher.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here