Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old House Addition: what to do with old windows?

Posted by sonyah (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 11 at 13:01

We're putting on a significant addition on the side of our house and have concerns about losing the windows. It would be odd to have these windows looking out into another room (especially a bedroom), but we're concerned about the loss of light. What have others done in cases like this? Did you remove the window completely and put up dry wall, or is there something else more creative (and less work) that can be done instead? Maybe a built-in for storage or display?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old House Addition: what to do with old windows?

My first house I owned with my ex-husband had a porch added onto the side of one of the bedrooms, and they left the window in, so it overlooked the new stairs down into the basement. Frankly, it just looked bizarre, and made setting up furniture on that wall very difficult.

You don't say what the rooms are going to be where you are "losing" the windows, but if you are concerned about the loss of light, I would recommend "replacing" the window with a tubular skylight in the ceiling over where the windows are gong to be walled over--they add a shocking amount of light, and I love mine. In my kitchen, which had been very dark, now I keep thinking the lights are on when they are not, it's just the tube bringing in the sun.

Carla in Sac

o

I saw the same situation in a magazine. The owners ended up creating a hallway between the new addition and the outside of the home so the light could flow through the new outside windows into the old outside windows. The hallway ended up being a much used path in the home. Good luck!

o

A hallway is the logical solution, since you are required to provide a min. value of natural light and ventilation.
The other option requires opening the adjoining wall 50% as well as increasing the window area in the new exterior wall to accommodate both areas.

o

Love the hallway idea. Are you working with an architect? If not, the contractor should be able to suggest how that might fit. Just make sure it's proportional to the house and not just a narrow strip that looks like it was added to bring in light. Should be functional too, from a walking perspective.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here