Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asbestos

Posted by viola76 (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 12:43

We have a home under coontract to buy. We received our inspection report indicating the home has asbestos in the sheetrock throughout the house. From all the research done, it looks like this is not an issue so long as we don't disturb the sheetrock.

However, we're worried about having to disclose asbestos from a resale perspective in the future. Do you think people will avoid buying this property or pay a lot less for it since we'll have to disclose that it contains asbestos in the future? We are the first people to ever test it for asbestos.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asbestos

The only way to determine that there is asbestos in the sheetrock is to have samples analyzed by a qualified lab. If that home inspector is basing his statement on visual observation, or anything other than lab tests, he is just speculating, or covering his rear end, or just plain doesn't know what he is talking about. Sheetrock did not typically contain asbestos, although sometimes the joint compound did, and often the spray-on texture of "popcorn" ceilings did. I'd question this guy on how he came to this conclusion. In my experience, quite a few people who work as home inspectors have questionable competence.

Unless this inspector can offer convincing proof, I would not believe him, and I do not believe you need to disclose info in the future that is based on speculation.

o

If you really did test for asbestos (not just a home inspection) then yes, you would have to disclose it. And yes, it would be a big negative for many buyers. While the science may support your conclusion, the market will discount a property with asbestos in every wall.

o

If you get a reduction in the house price from the seller you can do the same for the next buyer or use it to help pay for covering or removing the existing wall board.

When talking about asbestos it is best to avoid using trade names like "Sheetrock" unless you know for sure that was the brand used.

o

ASk what type of test they did. If they used polarized light this is often not all that accurate. If you get a result of less than 10% asbestos with polarized light my understanding is that a point count test should be done. When that is done my understanding is that results above 1% with polarized light may be well under 1% with the more accurate point count test.

o

Viola-
Did you get an answer from the home inspector on whether any testing for asbestos was actually done?

o

Our home inspector, who was supposed to be an expert in old homes, told us that we had asbestos in the ceiling tiles. Wrong! I sent a sample to an EPA certified lab and the results were cellulous, not asbestos. I have never heard of asbestos in drywall, but for $25 you can have it tested. It is worth the peace of mind.
Diane

o

How old is the sheetrock?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheetrock - Mesothelioma and Asbestos Exposure Risks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here