Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juno2008

Architect or cabinet guy? And SF cabinet recs?

juno2008
11 years ago

We have a c. 1900 bungalow in the bay area that was ruined by decades of "updates." We've finished putting the rest of the house as right as we can, and we're looking to un-update the kitchen ASAP. We worked with an architect on the rest of the house, but I'm not sure if we need an architect, since it's just one room. Could a cabinet maker work with us to design a kitchen layout? And would we get something better if we did re-hire the architect? There are a couple of non-structural walls that could possibly move (wouldn't affect the layout of the rest of the house) and we need new flooring, so with that in mind, is it more important to include an architect, or could we just re-hire our GC for the wall/floor part once we have a layout?

I also need to find a good custom cabinet maker in the Bay area, especially if I don't have an architect to rely on for recs. I don't think pre-fab is an option, since I want no toe kicks, inset drawers/doors, an old fashioned cooler cabinet, etc. What's the best way to find someone? I know the old-fashioned window guy we found through our architect had zero web presence, so I don't want to overlook someone just because he's not Google-able.

Comments (3)