Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing mildew/mold from exterior paint

Posted by brandyray (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 11:34

Hello, I need some help. I have an exterior wall (garden shed) that has mildewed. I want to remove the mildew so I can repaint. I had a recipe for mixing bleach and water to remove it, but I can't find it. Can anyone help me w/ it?
I have help and want to do it this weekend. Thanks! Brandyray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing mildew/mold from exterior paint

I always use Jomax and spray it on and leave it and then come back and rinse and scrub if needed. I think it is better than just bleach and water. I have used both. Also make sure and put mildew inhibitor in the paint. It helps a little. Also the cause of mildew on paint is stuff like pollen collecting on the paint so if you hose down the areas each year after pollen season you won't get the mildew in the first place. That is what my painter told me. Good luck. c

o

"Also the cause of mildew on paint is stuff like pollen collecting on the paint ..."

Not being able to dry out is a bigger cause.
Behind exterior shrubs, no direct sun, plants very close to the surface, all lead to moisture taking a long time to dry.

Constant moisture will cause even clean paint to mildew.

o

Thank you, trailrunner. I've never heard of Jomax but I will look for it or a suitable substitute.
Yes, brick.., that side of the bldg is in shade and the woods are right behind it. But, this is also a notorious area for mildew because of the humidity.
I was hoping just bleach and water would be sufficient, but, if not, that means a trip to town...when I wanted to get started on it tomorrow first thing...oh well. Grocery store, etc. nearer did not have it, nor anything else of the sort. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here