Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenna_2008

fireplace

jenna_2008
15 years ago

Hello all,

I posted on the fireplace forum as well but I wanted the opinion of old home renovators/restorers as well. I have some questions about gas fireplaces and would LOVE help/advice on where to go from here. DH and I are looking to put a gas fire place in our bedroom which is 15X16ft (stupid big I know, I am not sure what I am going to do with all that space - I see the decorating forum in my future). Our home has a charming (I think) 1912 - arts and crafts bungalow(ish) vibe. We are adding a kitchen on the first floor and a Master bath/bedroom/closet (I feel so fancy)on the 2nd.

My # 1 priority for a gas fire is realism - we have a masonry fireplace in the LR and I want this to appear to be a masonry as well. The companies we have looked at (in person) are

Mendota (great flame,burners,embers)Awesome that theceramic logs actually glow!! who knew?

Xtrodinair- Loved the aesthetic of their logs when not on - looked the best to my eye - although they will never glow like mendota. clean face w/ a screen pushed flush - seemed the most realistic from the outside although the flame/embers not as "wow" as mendota

Valor - we saw the setup but not the flame- love that the glass is pushed back and the idea of staging andirons (I still call them fire dogs) and a frette (sp?). Clever but does it work?

Would very much appreciate any help/suggestions/experiences - I find myself intimidated by all the selections - not to mention the money - this is a big decision and I would appreciate all the help I can get.

While I am at it does anyone have any recomendations about appropriate tile for the surround, I have been to some architectural salvage yards in my area (around arlington,ma) and have been disapointed.

Comments (2)