Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fireplace

Posted by jenna_2008 (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 08 at 11:12

Hello all,
I posted on the fireplace forum as well but I wanted the opinion of old home renovators/restorers as well. I have some questions about gas fireplaces and would LOVE help/advice on where to go from here. DH and I are looking to put a gas fire place in our bedroom which is 15X16ft (stupid big I know, I am not sure what I am going to do with all that space - I see the decorating forum in my future). Our home has a charming (I think) 1912 - arts and crafts bungalow(ish) vibe. We are adding a kitchen on the first floor and a Master bath/bedroom/closet (I feel so fancy)on the 2nd.
My # 1 priority for a gas fire is realism - we have a masonry fireplace in the LR and I want this to appear to be a masonry as well. The companies we have looked at (in person) are
Mendota (great flame,burners,embers)Awesome that theceramic logs actually glow!! who knew?
Xtrodinair- Loved the aesthetic of their logs when not on - looked the best to my eye - although they will never glow like mendota. clean face w/ a screen pushed flush - seemed the most realistic from the outside although the flame/embers not as "wow" as mendota
Valor - we saw the setup but not the flame- love that the glass is pushed back and the idea of staging andirons (I still call them fire dogs) and a frette (sp?). Clever but does it work?
Would very much appreciate any help/suggestions/experiences - I find myself intimidated by all the selections - not to mention the money - this is a big decision and I would appreciate all the help I can get.
While I am at it does anyone have any recomendations about appropriate tile for the surround, I have been to some architectural salvage yards in my area (around arlington,ma) and have been disapointed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fireplace

My house is older so I mostly have links to Victorian fireplaces for my remodeling, but here is a link I found with some good A&C fireplace info.
http://www.classicbungalows.com/?p=79

Do you already have a chimney and firebox or are you planning to add the whole thing?

Also L'Esperance Tile works has some great reproduction tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: L'Esperance Tile

o
RE: fireplace

We're in the same boat, looking for tile and a gas fireplace. It's very complicated when you consider the interaction of the flame, the log configuration, the embers, and what they call the "front". The most realistic fireplace I've seen so far at the smaller and relatively less expensive end of the spectrum is the Heat and Glo, Slimline SL 550 TRS. The S stands for supreme and the embers are much better than TR version. The Halsten front has a craftsman look to it, although I prefer the fronts from previous years models. For tile, if you want to splurge, Pratt and Larson has some great tile. You don't need a whole lot of it, depending on the design of fireplace, and they give a 20% discount for contractors and tilers. (It's still pricey!) Once you've been to the website, you'll recognize some examples of Pratt and Larson tile in the books Bungalow Nation and Bungalow Interiors. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here