Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you apply paneling over plaster?

Posted by lorettaf (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 11:03

We have the old lath/plaster walls. In some of the rooms we have paid someone to come in and patch and skim coat the walls to repair the plaster.

However, we are not looking to do that in this next room. We want to apply floor to ceiling bead board paneling over the walls.

DH & I are at a stalemate over it. He doesn't think it can be done and I think it can. He thinks we need to pull off the plaster and put up drywall first for the paneling to hold to anything.

I think liquid nail and predrilled holes for finish nails will do it.

Any experience with this?

Please help save this marriage! ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you apply paneling over plaster?

As I spent 3 months pulling off paneling, patching the nail holes from same and swearing at the previous owners who would do such a thing, I am probably not the one to respond to your question. The worst damage was from cutting the window trim to accommodate the paneling. But if you are determined to put paneling up, it can be nailed to the studs just like putting paneling over drywall. Please don't remove the plaster, subsequent owners of your house will thank you for not doing further damage. Drill the holes for the nails with a small bit to prevent the plaster from cracking.
Diane

o

You can easily mount the panelling over the lath and plaster--no need to remove it--and thus save money. I will say this--floor to ceiling is a bit unusual for most rooms unless it's a bath or pantry/kitchen area. Remove your baseboards first before putting it up, then put them back to their original places.

Hope to see some pics!

o

In 1919, the builders of our home put wainscoting over plaster in our dining room. It's still in place today - 5 ft high wainscoting in a room with 9 ft ceilings.

You win this round, lorettaf!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here