Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spanish Cedar Custom Windows

Posted by bobbie46 (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 11 at 11:02

We must order new windows for our 1937 colonial house for a south facing wall which is 22.5' across with a 10' ceiling. There will also be a door at the side of the windows. All the other windows in our house are wood. I can have single pane windows custom made in the old style (40"x8') double hung in Spanish cedar or I could order a manufactured (Marvin, for example) window. The Spanish cedar windows can be ordered with insulated., low e glass but that is about $500 more per window and they are not as attractive as single pane glass. When I drove around and look at new construction, most windows had a glare and a harsh reflective quality. I think this is due to low-e coating. It would be nice to have a non-drafty, sun defying window but I don't know if it could blend well with our other windows. I do not have to use energy efficient windows according to code since I am remodeling but I would like to be more energy efficient if possible. We live in Louisiana where summers are HOT. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spanish Cedar Custom Windows

check out interior storms windows. that may be a good solution for you

o

Thank you for the suggestion. I will look in to that possibility.

o

Spanish Cedar is a very good exterior wood. The only issue I would bring up is how shall it be weatherstripped?
Another question is what will keep them open? You can't buy new sash weights very easily, and they are sort of hard to insulate around. You could use Caldwell or Pullman tape balances, a kind of spring device that takes the place of the rope/pulley system.
There are a lot of weatherstripping approaches, but they need to coordinate with the balance system to be efficient.
The link is to the longest-lived weathertipping system for wooden sash windows.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Highest quality integral metal weatherstripping

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here